Connect with us

News

Barcelona Have Accepted Entry To New European Super League : Bartomeu Says

Published

on

Josep Maria Bartomeu says one of his final acts as Barcelona president was to approve the club’s inclusion in a European Super League.

Barcelona has accepted an invitation to join a proposed new European Super League, according to outgoing president Josep Maria Bartomeu.

Bartomeu made the announcement on Tuesday in a speech confirming he and Barca’s board of directors are resigning.

“We accept entry into a European Super League of football clubs,” he said. “This acceptance will have to be ratified by the next assembly. We have also approved the format of the new Club World Cup.

“The European Super League will make it so the club can remain being one of the members.”

A report from Sky Sports last week claimed Liverpool and Manchester United were leading talks around the prospect of a new FIFA-backed tournament featuring the world’s biggest clubs.

It was claimed more than a dozen teams from England, France, Germany, Italy and Spain were in negotiations to become founder members of a possible European Premier League backed by $6billion (£4.6billion) of funding.

Bartomeu’s comments made it clear that Barca are one such club to have been approached to join the proposed competition, which could start as early as 2022 and comprise home and away fixtures between 18 teams.

Any final decision would have to be ratified by a vote held by the next Barca president and board of directors.

In his speech, Bartomeu did not state whether Barca’s involvement in any new such competition would lead to them withdrawing from LaLiga or the Champions League.

The new Club World Cup was scheduled to begin next year, in place of the traditional pre-World Cup tournament, the Confederations Cup, with FIFA expanding the tournament to 24 teams and China selected as host.

The coronavirus pandemic means the event is likely to be pushed back until at least 2022, however.

Bartomeu’s admission that Barca have accepted the plans for the new tournament is at odds with the view of the European Club Association (ECA), which last year produced a letter insisting “no ECA clubs would take part”.

Writing on Twitter on Tuesday after Bartomeu’s resignation speech, LaLiga president Javier Tebas said: “Unlucky Bartomeu, announcing on the final day participation in a phantom competition that would be the ruin of Barcelona, and ratifies his ignorance in the football industry.

“A sad end for a president who had success and, in the end, errors.”

Facebook Comments

News

Elon Musk Overtakes Bill Gates To Become World’s Second-Richest Person Within A Week

Published

on

Elon Musk has passed Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates to become the world’s second-richest person, only a week after he overtook Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg to become the third-richest as Tesla’s share price continues to soar.

The electric car company’s value has risen following the announcement that it would join the S&P 500 index of leading US companies, driving its market value close to $500bn.

Mr Musk, 49, is now worth more than $128 billion (£95bn) as he owns 20% of all of the company’s shares, which have risen by more than 675% since 25 November last year, when they were valued at $67.27 (£50.33) each.

Tesla’s share price is currently valued at $521.49 (£390.20) a share, and if the growth continues, Musk could net a bonus deal worth a record $55.8bn. To trigger the maximum payout he has to build Tesla into a $650bn company by 2028, The Guardian reports.

Tesla is the most valuable car company in the world by share price, with a market value of just over $494bn (£370bn).

Just last week, Musk overtook Facebook founder and chief executive Mark Zuckerberg in the third position.

Amazon founder and chief executive Jeff Bezos remains at the top of the Bloomberg rich list, with an estimated net worth of $182bn (£136bn).

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

‘Messi Told Me He Was Screwed When I Rejected Barca’ : Antoine Griezmann

Published

on

Antonie Griezmann, Barcelona and France striker has revealed that his initial decision to reject a transfer to Barcelona in 2018 angered superstar footballer, Lionel Messi.

Despite recent controversies painting a negative relationship between Messi amd Griezmann, Messi spoke positively about Griezmann joining the club in 2018, and the Frenchman has admitted the pair had a long conversation when he eventually joined the club.

“When I signed for the club I asked for forgiveness for delaying the move and saying I wouldn’t join Barcelona,” Griezmann told Jorge Valdano on the latest edition of Universo Valdano. “I told Lionel Messi that I would give everything on the pitch for the club.

“I spoke with Leo when I arrived and he told me that when I turned down the first chance to go, he was screwed because he had asked for it publicly, but he told me he was with me and I notice it every day.“\

Griezmann’s former agent Eric Olhats and uncle Emmanuel Lopes have caused controversy by saying Griezmann has a negative relationship with Messi but the striker says he has no relationship with both men .

“He (Olhats) was very important in my life but I don’t have a relationship with him anymore,” Griezmann said.

“I stopped having any relationship with him since the day I got married. I invited him to the wedding day, and he didn’t come. That’s why I stopped having a relationship with him.

“My uncle doesn’t know how football works. And in the end, the journalist ended up getting the statement out of him. I told Leo that I never speak to them, in fact, I don’t even have my uncle’s phone number.

“My parents don’t talk to Eric either, so who is going to talk to him? He can do a lot of damage, and create problems in the dressing room.”

Barcelona are struggling in La Liga, where they sit in 13th in the table – 12 points behind leaders Real Sociedad, albeit with two games in hand.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

‘I Saw Mahama Carrying 4 Coffins Coming Out Of A Pit’ : Owusu Bempah’s Latest Prophecy

Published

on

Owusu Bempah, founder and leader of Glorious Word Power Ministries has given yet another prophecy about NDC Presidential candidate, John Mahama.

Speaking on NET 2 TV, he claims he saw the former president in a revelation on Monday dawn carrying 4 coffins on his head, coming out of a pit.

“I had a vision, I saw an angel splitting the clouds into two. Then I saw a very deep pit, where ex-president John Dramani Mahama was coming out of carrying four coffins,” Rev. Owusu Bempeh said on Net 2 TV’s ‘The Seat’ show Monday evening.

Rev. Owusu Bempah alleged: “Former President Rawlings’s death was not natural; his death was spiritual. I had a vision in which I saw three different human hearts popping champagne and jubilating while the lifeless body of Mr Rawlings was resting on the table. These hearts were just jubilating and smiling while they were looking at the lifeless body of Mr Rawlings.

He then added: “I am a spiritual person and so I understand these things and know who those hearts stand for. Somebody in Ghana is looking for political power and he will never get that power. I will always say it because I am not scared of anybody. Nobody can kill me and so I will always tell the truth.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Latest Stories

ad

Trending