Connect with us

News

Coronavirus: Celtic Crowned Scottish Premiership Champions

Published

on

Celtic have been confirmed as Scottish Premiership champions for the ninth season in a row after the top-flight league was brought to a premature end due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

According to BBC Sport, the decision was taken at a board meeting on Monday, May 18, after the 12 clubs agreed at the end of last week that completing the campaign was unfeasible.

In the deciding the champions for the 2019/20 season, average points per game played were used to determine final placings.

Celtic with 13 points ahead of their strongest rival, Rangers, were crowned champions while Heart were relegated from the top-flight league

Read the SPFL statement below.

The SPFL has today announced that, following consultation with all 12 top-flight clubs, the Board of the SPFL has determined that the 2019/20 Ladbrokes Premiership has been concluded with immediate effect.

As with the Ladbrokes Championship, Ladbrokes League One and Ladbrokes League Two competitions, final season placings have been determined by points per game in league matches played to 13 March 2020 by each club.

The decision means that Celtic are crowned 2019/20 champions and Hearts have been relegated to the Ladbrokes Championship. The final placings in full can be seen below.

Celtic crowned Scottish Premiership champions after league cancellation due to Coronavirus pandemic

SPFL chairman Murdoch MacLennan said: “Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to officially congratulate Celtic on their achievement of winning the Ladbrokes Premiership this season, and also to sincerely commiserate with Hearts on their relegation.

“We would all have rather seen the league season played out on pitches, in stadiums and in front of supporters. This is not the way anybody involved with Scottish football would have wanted to conclude the league season but, given the grave and unprecedented circumstances that we are facing, the Board has agreed that it is the only practical way forward.

“Covid-19 has wreaked havoc on sporting competitions around the world and the repercussions will be felt for a long time. Scottish Government restrictions and deep concerns for both player and spectator safety left the SPFL with no realistic option but to call the Ladbrokes Premiership now and we thank the Premiership clubs for their support on this decision.”

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said: “On Friday, Ladbrokes Premiership clubs expressed their clear and unanimous view that there was no realistic prospect of completing the outstanding fixtures from Season 2019/20. The SPFL Board met this morning and in line with the express agreement of member clubs in April, the Board determined that League Season 2019/20 and the Ladbrokes Premiership be brought to an end.

“This decision now enables us to pay out around £7 million in fees to help clubs stay afloat during this incredibly difficult time. We will begin processing these payments immediately.

“The focus of all those involved in the game will now turn to how we get football up and running again safely as soon as possible. Next season’s Betfred Cup first round group stage is scheduled to begin in mid-July, with coverage from Premier Sports. The 2020/21 League Season in all four of our Divisions is due to commence on 1 August, which coincides with the start of our new and exclusive five-year broadcasting deal with Sky Sports.

“Nobody should be under any illusion as to how complicated and difficult a challenge it will be to return Scottish football to normality. We will be liaising with Government on the best way forward and working to ensure that all of our 42 clubs are playing football again as soon as humanly possible.”

Facebook Comments

News

Mario Balotelli ‘Sacked’ By His Club Brescia After Skipping Training For 10 Days

Published

on

Italian football striker, Mario Balotelli has reportedly been sacked by his club Brescia after he skipped training for ten days.

Reports in Italy on Saturday morning claimed Brescia owner Massimo Cellino sent the controversial footballer a letter requesting the termination of his three-year contract at the club after he failed to show up for training when lockdown restrictions were eased.

The 29-year-old former Manchester City and Liverpool player was contracted to Brescia until 2022, following the £160,000-per-week deal he signed with his hometown club back in August 2019.

It was reported that his contract with Brescia was set to be terminated at the end of the 2019/20 campaign. But according to Football Italia and Gazzetta dello Sport, his contract with the club has now been terminated.

Newspaper Repubblica also claimed that both Cellino and Balotelli, who earns £877,000-a-year at Brescia have also reached a financial settlement.

Speaking in a recent interview with BBC, Cellino admitted his regret at signing Balotelli who scored five goals in 19 games for the club.

He said: ‘I think we both made a mistake,’ Cellino told the BBC’s World Football programme.

‘I thought that coming to Brescia, which is his town, would commit him very much.

‘At the same time, I think he was handled the wrong way by my previous coach [Eugenio Corini].

‘He doesn’t show up to training, he doesn’t look very committed let’s say, for the future of the club. That’s the problem.

‘Balotelli’s got a contract in Serie A, but he doesn’t have a contract in Serie B. So if we’re relegated, Balotelli won’t have a contract any more.

‘Balotelli apparently doesn’t like to stay in Italy anymore because he’s not acting that way.’

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

You Cheated On Me’ : Lady Calls Out Ned Nwoko After He Shared Regina Daniels Baby Bump Photo On IG

Published

on

A lady has made a very damning allegation about popular Nollywood actress Regina Daniels’ husband, Ned Nwoko.

The lady identified as @dutchess_emmy accused Ned Nwoko of cheating on her and after breaking her heart, had to come out to publicly announce the pregnancy of Regina Daniels.

Dutchess_emmy made this allegation after Ned Nwoko shared a baby bump photo of her 6th wife, Regina Daniels where he officially stated that he and Regina is expecting their first child.

However, it appears the Instagram lady was in a serious relationship with the 64-year-old business mogul but their affair did not end up in marriage like how it happened for him and the Nigerian screen star.

Taking to the comment section of Ned Nwoko’s post, the jilted lady expressed shock at Ned Nwoko’s gesture.

She wrote;

‘Wow you cheated on me and you announcing this publicly @princenednwoko check your Whatsapp’.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Michael Jordan To Donate $100 million To Organizations Fighting For Racial Justice And Equality

Published

on

Michael Jordan and Jordan Brand on Friday announced a $100 million donation to help the ongoing fight against racial injustice.

In a joint statement released by his manager Estee Portnoy, the basketball legend said that over the next 10 years, he and his brand will donate $100 million to “organizations dedicated to ensuring racial equality, social justice and greater access to education.”

“Jordan Brand is more than one man. It has always been a family,” the statement begins. “We represent a proud family that has overcome obstacles, fought against discrimination in communities worldwide and that works every day to erase the stain of racism and the damage of injustice.”

It continues, “The will, the work, the excellence the world has come to know is the result of one generation after another, pouring their dreams into the next. It’s 2020, and our family now includes anyone who aspires to our way of life. Yet as much as things have changed, the worst remains the same.”

“Black lives matter. This isn’t a controversial statement. Until the ingrained racism that allows our country’s institutions to fail is completely eradicated, we will remain committed to protecting and improving the lives of Black people,” they share.

In his previous statement on George Floyd’s death and the ongoing police brutality and racial injustice protests, the 57-year-old former Chicago Bulls great and owner of the Charlotte Hornets said he was “deeply saddened, truly pained and plain angry.”

“I stand with those who are calling out the ingrained racism and violence toward people of color in our country. We have had enough,” he said. “… We must listen to each other, show compassion and empathy and never turn our backs on senseless brutality. We need to continue peaceful expressions against injustice and demand accountability.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending