Connect with us

Former Chelsea doctor Eva Carneiro has settled her dismissal claim against the club on confidential terms.

Dr Carneiro had claimed constructive dismissal against the club and was also bringing separate legal action against former manager Jose Mourinho.

On Monday it emerged Chelsea had offered Dr Carneiro £1.2m to settle her claims which she had rejected.

Chelsea said it “regretted the circumstances” which led to the former first team doctor leaving the club.

In a statement Dr Carneiro said: “I am relieved that today we have been able to conclude this tribunal case. It has been an extremely difficult and distressing time for me and my family and I now look forward to moving forward with my life.

“My priority has always been the health and safety of the players and fulfilling my duty of care as a doctor.”

Addressing the tribunal, Daniel Stilitz QC, for Chelsea and Mr Mourinho, said: “We are pleased to be able to tell the tribunal that the parties agreed a settlement on confidential terms.”

Chelsea said in a statement: “The club regrets the circumstances which led to Dr Carneiro leaving the club and apologises unreservedly to her and her family for the distress caused.

“We wish to place on record that in running onto the pitch Dr Carneiro was following both the rules of the game and fulfilling her responsibility to the players as a doctor, putting their safety first.

It added: “Jose Mourinho also thanked Dr Carneiro for the excellent and dedicated support she provided as first team doctor and he wishes her a successful career.”

_89905593_eva_carneiro__index_getty

The tribunal was not the kind of start that Mr Mourinho’s new club, Manchester United, would have wanted.

It would be interesting to see in due course if there was any word from them about their influence on this. I’m sure they wouldn’t want their new manager to be introduced into this kind of febrile atmosphere.

Dr Carneiro claimed that she was sexually discriminated against after she went on to the pitch to treat Chelsea player Eden Hazard during the opening day of the Premier League season last August.

She claimed that Mr Mourinho shouted the Portuguese phrase “filha da puta” at her, which means “daughter of a whore”, as she ran on to the pitch.

Hazard had to leave the pitch, briefly leaving the team with only nine men at what Mr Mourinho claimed was a crucial stage in the game.

Chelsea went on to draw 2-2 with Swansea and Mr Mourinho publicly criticised both Dr Carneiro and first team physio Jon Fearn for being “impulsive and naive”.

Mr Mourinho conceded that he used the term, but insisted he had been using it throughout the match.

Mary O’Rourke QC, acting for Dr Carneiro, told the tribunal on Monday: “He [Mourinho] uses the word ‘filha’ because he is abusing a woman.”

Eva

The FA ruled on 30 September 2015 that “the words used do not constitute discriminatory language” after consulting an independent academic expert in Portuguese linguistics.

Dr Carneiro also alleged that on 10 August last year Mr Mourinho told Steve Atkins, head of communications and PR at Chelsea, that he did not want Dr Carneiro on the bench at the next match, adding: “She works in academy team or ladies team, not with me.”

They also claim Chelsea took no action following complaints about sexually explicit chanting at various away games – in particular at Manchester United and West Ham – and a lack of female changing facilities.

Dr Carneiro claims she was not provided with a club suit, and regularly had to endure sexually explicit comments from her colleagues.

BBC.com

Kubidyza is a Global Celebrity Blogger, Music Promoter and a Social Media Influencer | Most Influential Blogger In Ghana For Bookings: Kubinho80@gmail.com

Advertisement

News

McDonald’s To Leave Russia Permanently After 32 Years

Published

on

McDonald’s has announced that it will leave Russia permanently after 30 years.

McDonald’s announced in March that it would temporarily close its roughly 850 restaurants in the country as part of the economic fallout from Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

The Chicago-based company owns 84% of its stores in Russia and has stated that its restaurants in Russia and Ukraine contributed 9% of its annual revenue, or around $2 billion (£1.6 billion).

The company expects to incur a non-cash charge of between $1.2 billion (£980 million) and $1.4 billion as part of the exit.

“The humanitarian crisis caused by the war in Ukraine, as well as the precipitating unpredictable operating environment,” McDonald’s said in a statement.

According to the company, it has begun selling its restaurants there due to the “humanitarian crisis” and “unpredictable operating environment” caused by the Ukraine war.

McDonald’s intends to sell its business to a local buyer, which employs 62,000 people and operates 850 restaurants (including those run by franchisees).

The restaurants will be “de-arched,” which means they will no longer use the McDonald’s name, logo, or branding. In a statement, McDonald’s stated that its “priorities include seeking to ensure that McDonald’s employees in Russia continue to be paid until the close of any transaction and that employees have future employment with any potential buyer.” In Russia, it will keep its trademarks.

According to the company, doing business in Russia is “no longer tenable” or consistent with its values.

“This is a complicated issue with no precedent and profound consequences,” McDonald’s CEO Chris Kempczinski wrote in a message to franchisees, employees, and suppliers obtained by The New York Times.

“Some might argue that providing access to food and continuing to employ tens of thousands of ordinary citizens is unquestionably the right thing to do,” he continued. However, it is impossible to ignore the humanitarian crisis caused by Ukraine’s war. And it’s difficult to imagine the Golden Arches symbolizing the same hope and promise that drove us to enter the Russian market 32 years ago.”

Continue Reading

News

Ashantigold Demoted To Division Two For Match Manipulation

Published

on

Ashantigold Sporting Club of Ghana has been demoted to Division Two, Ghana’s third tier league, after being found guilty of match manipulation.

The incident occurred at the end of the 2020/2021 Ghana Premier League season, when Ashantigold defeated Inter Allies 7-0. Hashmin Musah, an Allies player, scored two own goals and later admitted his action was to ruin a bet placed on the game.

Dr. Kwaku Frimpong, the club’s President, and his son, Emmanuel Frimpong, the club’s Chief Executive Officer, have also been barred from football activities for ten years and eight years, respectively.

Eight club players were also banned for two years each after being found guilty of match manipulation, and a further five players were given four-year bans for failing to appear before the GFA’s Disciplinary Committee.

Furthermore, the club was fined Ghs 100,000, the President was fined Ghs 100,000, and the CEO was fined Ghs 50,000.

The decision will be implemented beginning with the 2022/2023 season.

Continue Reading

News

Inter Allies Demoted To Division Two For Match Manipulation

Published

on

Inter Allies Football Club has been demoted to Ghana’s second division after being found guilty of match manipulation.

The Ghana FA’s Disciplinary Committee announced the decision on Monday, following the conclusion of an investigation into last season’s final day clash between AshGold and Inter Allies at the Len Clay Stadium.

The game was won by AshGold 7-0, with Inter Allies defender Hashmin Musah scoring two own goals in the process.

Musah, however, admitted after the game in a radio interview that his own goals were scored on purpose to scupper a 5-1 bet that some people had placed on the match.

The GFA announced that the club had been charged on two counts and that it would be demoted to Division Two at the end of the current season. They were relegated from the Ghana Premier League last season and fell into this division.

In addition to the demotion, Inter Allies must pay a GHS 100,000 fine under the GFA’s Disciplinary Code.

Their head coach, Felix Aboagye, and team manager, Reuben Adjetey, would be barred from all football-related activity for 24 months.

As part of the GFA’s sanctions, four players were given 24-month bans. Richmond Lamptey of Kotoko was banned from football for 30 months because he was playing for Inter Allies at the time of the incident.

Hashmin Musah was also punished, but he received a shorter 6-month ban for bringing the incident to light, and he was also warned to notify the GFA’s Integrity Hotline in the future if he becomes aware of such unscrupulous arrangements.

Continue Reading

Trending