Connect with us

Media & Culture

Kevin Spacey and his production firms ordered to pay House of Cards makers $30 million for losses due to his sexual assault case

Published

on

Due to losses incurred as a result of Kevin Spacey’s termination in 2017 for sexually harassing crew members, the producers of “House of Cards” have been ordered to pay nearly $31 million to Kevin Spacey and his production companies.

According to Mail Online, the $30.9 award made in favor of MRC and other companies that produced the Netflix series by a private arbitrator who heard the case against Spacey has legal standing thanks to the decision made by Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mel Red Recana on Thursday, August 5.

In his opinion, Spacey and his lawyers “fail to demonstrate that this is even a close case” and “do not demonstrate that the damages award was so utterly irrational that it amounts to an arbitrary remaking of the parties’ contracts,” according to Recana.

‘We are pleased with the court’s ruling,’ MRC attorney Michael Kump said in an email.

Spacey has denied the allegations through his attorneys and his spokesperson, who did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.

The arbitrator found that Spacey violated his contract´s demands for professional behavior by ‘engaging certain conduct in connection with several crew members in each of the five seasons that he starred in and executive produced House of Cards,’ according to a filing from Kump requesting the approval.

As a result, MRC had to fire Spacey, halt production of the show´s sixth season, rewrite it to remove Spacey´s central character, and shorten it from 13 to eight episodes to meet deadlines, resulting in tens of millions in losses, according to court documents.

Spacey´s attorneys argued in their own filings that the decision to exclude him from the show´s sixth season came before the internal investigation that led the crew members to come forward, and thus was not part of a contract breach.

They argued that the actor’s actions were not a substantial factor in the show’s losses.

The ruling from the private arbitrator came after a legal fight of more than three years and an eight-day evidentiary hearing that was kept secret from the public, along with the rest of the dispute, until a panel of three more private arbitrators rejected Spacey’s appeal and upheld the decision in November.

The 63-year-old Oscar winner’s career suffered a decline late in 2017 as allegations against him emerged from several places.

Spacey was fired or removed from projects, most notably ‘House of Cards,’ the Netflix political thriller where for five seasons he played lead character Frank Underwood, a power-hungry congressman who becomes president.

Last month, Spacey pleaded not guilty in London to charges of sexually assaulting three men a decade or more ago, when he was director of the Old Vic theater there. His lawyer said he ‘strenuously denies’ the allegations. He is set to face trial next year.

Another criminal case brought against him, an indecent assault and battery charge stemming from the alleged groping of an 18-year-old man at a Nantucket resort, was dismissed by Massachusetts prosecutors in 2019.

Spacey also faces lawsuits from other men, including actor Anthony Rapp.

Kubidyza is a Global Celebrity Blogger, Music Promoter and a Social Media Influencer | Most Influential Blogger In Ghana For Bookings: Kubinho80@gmail.com

Media & Culture

Kim Kardashian ‘fears Kanye West will never let her move’ on after Pete Davidson split

Published

on

Kim Kardashian fears Kanye West will never let her move on after her split from Pete Davidson, according to reports.

The mum-of-four, 41, broke up with the former Saturday Night Live funnyman after nine months – in news which appeared to delight Ye.

In a post which was slammed by Kim’s fans, the Stronger rapper posted a fake New York Times cover on social media declaring “Skete Davidson” was “dead at 28”.

Kim is said to have been horrified by the meme and now a source claims she’s worried her ex will sabotage her future romances.

They said: “Kim’s heartbroken over her split from Pete and to have Kanye only add more upset has been a double blow.

“His bad taste made her realise that he might never let her move on with her life and be happy,” reports Closer magazine.

Pete and Kim are said to have ended their relationship due to their hectic schedules and the distance between them.

The SKIMS founder resides in California while Pete’s pad is in New York.

The comedian has also been away in Australia filming Wizards!

Then there was the issue of the couple’s 13-year age gap.

As a mum of four, Kim isn’t keen on another child while Pete is said to want to start a family, an insider told the publication.

The source added: “The more serious things got, the more Kim visualised having a fifth child. She had to let him go.

“She’s heartbroken but she’s trying to stay positive.”

Continue Reading

Media & Culture

Davido reacts to his sleeping meme that has gone viral

Published

on

Davido has reacted to a viral meme of him sleeping.

A photo of the singer sleeping in a car was shared with the words, “see person wey stand strong”.

This is a reference to his song “Stand Strong”.

Reacting, Davido shared the meme and wrote: “If I catch this person, na fight.”

He added: “I don dey laff for one hour straight.”

Davido reacts to his sleeping meme that has gone viral

Continue Reading

Media & Culture

A$AP Rocky charged with assault over 2021 shooting

Published

on

Rapper A$AP Rocky has been charged with assault for the November 2021 shooting of a former friend in Hollywood.

Prosecutors said earlier that Rocky pointed a gun at a man (since identified as Relli) during a heated conversation in Hollywood last fall. Later, Rocky allegedly fired two shots in Relli’s direction. Relli has said that he was hit with bullet fragments and suffered injuries as a result of the shooting.

Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón announced on Monday August 15, that the rapper is facing two counts of assault with a semiautomatic firearm with allegations of personally using a firearm.

George said;

“Discharging a gun in a public place is a serious offense that could have ended with tragic consequences not only for the person targeted but also for innocent bystanders visiting Hollywood.

“My office conducted a thorough review of the evidence in this case and determined that the addition of a special firearm allegation was warranted.”

Rocky will be arraigned on Wednesday Augusy 17. The “Praise the Lord” artist had been taken into custody and charged with assault with a deadly weapon after arriving in LAX airport with girlfriend Rihanna in April. He was released on $550,000 bail.

Rocky previously found himself in legal hot water in 2019 when he was arrested and jailed in Sweden for a month for his involvement in a street fight with alleged “drug addicts.”

The rapper and Rihanna welcomed their first child together, a boy, on May 13. The pair started dating in 2020, and the “Umbrella” singer announced her pregnancy in January.

Continue Reading

Latest Stories

The Daily

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Follow Us

Trending