Connect with us

News

Lesotho Former First Lady Sent Back To Prison Over Murder Of Rival

Published

on

The wife of former Lesotho Prime Minister Thomas Thabane, who was charged with the murder of her husband’s first wife, returned to prison on Wednesday after the court annulled her judicial review.

Maesaiah Thabane, 43, was charged back in February for her involvement in the 2017 murder of Lipolelo Thabane, the first wife of Thomas Thabane. She spent one night in jail before a High Court freed her on a 1,000 maloti ($57) bail.

Lipolelo was shot by gunmen shortly before her estranged husband’s inauguration as the Prime Minister and weeks before he married Maesaiah in 2017.

The former couple were separated and had been pursuing a divorce before her death.

Lesotho former first lady sent back to prison over murder of rival (Photos)

Last week Friday, the Lesotho Court of Appeal overturned the controversial judicial supervision measures she had enjoyed after she was granted bail in the case.

After the ruling, the police could not immediately arrest her because she was in South Africa with her husband who had travelled to the neighboring country for treatment.

On Wednesday she arrived at the magistrate court in Maseru under the escort of armed police officers.

Lesotho former first lady sent back to prison over murder of rival (Photos)

Judge Thamae Thamae told her she will remain in prison and will be reconvened on 16 June 2020.

“The decision of the High Court to grant you bail has been set aside by the Court of Appeal,” said the magistrate.

“You will remain in the correctional facility. You will report back on 16 June 2020 to find out the progress of your case.”

After her appearance in court, Police officers immediately whisked her away.

The murder of Lipolelo Thabane, also led to the resignation of 80-year-old Thomas Thabane on 19 May over his alleged involvement in her death.

Back in Febuary, authorities also wanted to charge him but he asked the Constitutional Court to stop the courts from trying him for the crime while he remained in office.

Facebook Comments

News

Barcelona Sign Sergino Dest For €21M

Published

on

Sergino Dest will be Barcelona’s new right-back – the 19-year-old joins from Ajax as Nelson Semedo’s replacement.
Barcelona have completed the signing of right-back Sergino Dest from Ajax for an initial €21million.

The 19-year-old United States international has signed a five-year contract with a €400m buyout clause, while the deal could eventually cost Barca €26m.

Barca faced stiff competition for the Ajax academy product, with Bayern Munich said to be also keen on his signature, but his signing for the Blaugrana appeared a formality after he was spotted arriving in Catalonia on Tuesday.

Dest broke into the Ajax senior side just last season, playing 35 times across all competitions as he established himself as an alternative to Noussair Mazraoui.

An attack-minded full-back, Dest was originally a winger when he first joined Ajax, but he has thrived following a positional switch.

Technically gifted, quick and a fine dribbler, Dest’s performances saw him catch the eye of several major clubs in his breakout season, but it is the well-travelled path from Ajax to Barca that he has decided to tread.

Barca had been on the lookout for a new right-back following the exit of Nelson Semedo, who failed to convince coaching staff and fans alike during his three years at Camp Nou.

Netherlands-born Dest has already been capped three times by the United States’ senior side, whom he is eligible for through his father.

Barca have not confirmed if Dest will be in contention to make his debut on Thursday at Celta Vigo, or if he will have to wait for the visit of Sevilla three days later.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Chelsea Face Champions League Group Of Death Draw With Bayern Munich, Inter Milan, And Rennes Possible Opponents

Published

on

Chelsea could be handed a nightmare ‘group of death’ when the Champions League draw is made tomorrow.

Frank Lampard’s side are with Man Utd and Man City in Pot 2 while Premier League champions Liverpool fill out the English contingent in the top group.

And it is from Pot 1 where the Blues will be looking to avoid one team in particular.

Chelsea have good memories of beating Bayern Munich on their own turf to lift the European title in 2012.

But surely no one would fancy taking on the reigning champs in their current rampant form.

The 8-2 demolition job of Barcelona – over one leg, remember – in the summer is still fresh in everyone’s memory.

And though that came against a club in crisis, the threat Robert Lewandowski – surely robbed of the Ballon d’Or this year – and Thomas Muller perpetually pose makes them the ones to avoid.

Further down in Pot 3, Inter Milan’s team of stars under Antonio Conte – up against his old club – could prove difficult.

And below them again in the bottom pot lie current Ligue 1 leaders Rennes.

The French team’s ex-goalkeeper Edouard Mendy recently joined Lampard’s side so he should know how to handle them.

Saying that though, Rennes have started off unbeaten this season with four wins from five games and 12 goals scored already.

This season will test teams’ fitness levels and squad depth like never before.

So it’s a good job Lampard has been so busy this summer, signing seven players in all.

The Champions League does not start until October 20 as a result of the pandemic and delayed season starts across Europe.

But teams are set to have to play six fiercely competitive European ties during the most congested season in history – possibly complicating their Premier League ambitions as well.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Food And Drug Administration To Ban The Production Of Alcoholic Drink In Sachets And Plastic Bottles

Published

on

Director-General, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, has told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday that, the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) will totally ban the production of alcoholic drinks in sachets by 2023/2024 after the organization expressed worry over the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages in sachets and small volume glass and Poly-Ethylene Terephthalate (PET) bottles.

With the support of the Federal Ministry of Health, Adeyeye stated that the concern also relates to the fact that alcohol “is also a toxic and psychoactive substance with dependence producing properties, explaining that, uncontrolled access and availability of high concentration alcohol in sachet and small volume PET or glass bottles have been put forward as a factor contributing to substance and alcohol abuse in Nigeria with its negative impact on the society.

The director-general also said that, pending the time-lapse, the distillers association were told to reduce the level of alcohol drink in sachets, and that they have agreed to do that. Adeyeye said the distillers association had also been tasked to run a social responsibility campaign against underage drinking, adding that a jingle would soon be on air in this regard.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Latest Stories

ad

Trending