Connect with us

News

Matilda Amissah-Arthur Sheds More Light On Late Husband’s Death

Published

on

Paa Kwesi Amissah Arthur

The wife of former vice-president Paa Kwesi Amissah Arthur after some period of silence on the sudden demise of her husband some few years ago has opened up about the circumstances behind his death.

Ghana went silent on 29th June 2018 when it was reported in various news portals that the former Vice-President Amissah-Arthur has passed on whiles he was going his routinely exercise session in the gym.

Stories that went around that day were after he collapsed during the training session, there was no car around and has to be placed in the bucket of a pick-up truck before been rushed to the hospital.

But according to the former 2nd lady of the land, that story was a lie and her husband was rather placed in the back seat of a Benz car before been rushed to the hospital.

Shedding more light on his death she disclosed that her late husband was almost done with his regular training at the gym when he collapsed on the cross-trainer.

“On Friday 29th June, 2018, we got to the Airforce gym at 4.30 am, he did his exercises… we were almost through, he went on the cross-trainer being the last exercise that he [was to] do and then he collapsed,” she narrated to David Ampofo on ‘Time With David’.

She revealed that Dr Naa Tagoe who is a member of the gym and works at Ridge Hospital rushed and resuscitated him checked his pulse everything and said: “We should go to 37 Military Hospital.”

She added that a Senior Military Officer who was also at the gym advised that transporting the late Vice President in his Mercedes Benz wasn’t advisable, so he offered his double cabin pickup.

“We went in a Benz, so the doctor and this officer said if we put him at the back of the Benz its so short that we have to cramp him so I have a pickup; a double cabin pickup, let’s put him on the second seat of the double cabin and let the doctor sit with him and I go with somebody else,” she said.

Mrs. Amissah-Arthur noted that on their way from the Airforce gym to the hospital, the late Vice President had been resuscitated. When they got to the hospital, she indicated that he was first admitted at the emergency ward where his vital signs were checked before being moved to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU).

Mrs. Amissah-Arthur stated that when the doctors broke the news of her husband’s death to her, she quickly requested a post-mortem report because they first told her everything was alright with the late Vice President, “so I was very surprised at what had happened”.

“My husband was a stickler for health… he does six months check-up, he didn’t have diabetes or pressure so I wanted to know… but really he wasn’t put in a bucket of a pickup,” she stressed.

News

Ghanaians To Donate GHS100 Monthly To Build The National Cathedral

Published

on

The Minister of Finance, Ken Ofori Attah has revealed that Ghanaians will be made to donate GHS100 monthly in their yet-to-be-launched “Ketewa Biara Sua” fund as part of the move to build the National Cathedral.

He made the proposal during the mid-year budget review to the 8th parliament, adding that the National Cathedral is progressing steadily.

“Work on the National Cathedral is progressing speedily and following the program of the contractor. The National Cathedral is expected to be officially commissioned on March 6, 2024. Upon completion, the National Cathedral will provide a space for formal religious activities of state and symbolize the enormous contribution of faith to nation-building,” the Minister said.

“This state and church partnership envisaged by the president to develop the National Cathedral is on course. An initiative; the GHC100 a month also dubbed “Ketewa Biara sua” will be launched by the trustees of the National Cathedral on August 12, 2021, to give as many Ghanaians as possible the opportunity to be part of the history of the National Cathedral,” he further stated.

Ken Ofori Atta said that the movement is to get about 1 million Ghanaians who would be willing to donate GHS100 towards the construction of the Cathedral.

“A special shortcode 979 has been developed for this purpose as we look forward to Mr speaker and all the members of this august house join in the GHc100/a month,” he noted.

Just as Nehemiah faced criticism for building a house of God, the members of the fundraising program believe that the Akufo Addo-led government will face serious criticism from the opposition in their quest to build the National Cathedral.

Well, as Ghanaians prepare to embark on a massive demonstration against the government over their basic needs like the creation of jobs to reduce the level of unemployment in the country, stable electricity and water, good roads, and other social amenities in the #FixTheCountry campaign, the government rather use funds available to fund the National Cathedral.

Not only that, but they also want the ordinary Ghanaian who hustles on the street for daily bread should donate the little they earn from their trade to build the National Cathedral which in no way solves any of the issues facing them.

President Nana Akufo Addo and his government continue to prove to Ghanaians that it was a grave mistake to ever vote them into power with regards to the current happenings and the neglection of developmental projects to tackle needless projects like the National Cathedral.

Obviously, this movement will be met with anger and disappointments from Ghanaians especially with the idea of donating to fund the project.

Continue Reading

News

Gideon Mensah Set For Bordeaux Move

Published

on

Gideon Mensah, Ghana international defender is set for a move to French Ligue 1 side Bordeaux from RB Salzburg.

According to transfer guru, Fabrizio Romano, an agreement has been reached with RB Salzburg for highly rated left back to join Bordeaux.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1420691869848190977?s=20

It will be a season long loan deal with option to buy.

Mensah is expected to become Gerard Lopez’s first signing.

The 23 year old spent the 2020/2021 season on loan at Portuguese side Vitoria Guiramaes, making 22 league appearances.

Continue Reading

News

Barcelona Reveals Reason Why They Want To Sell Griezmann

Published

on

Joan Laporta, Barcelona President has revealed why the club is so desperate to get rid of Antoine Griezmann even though he has been with the club for just two years.

While the Frenchman may not have set the world alight in his time at the Catalan club following his big-money move from Atletico Madrid, he remains a key asset for Barcelona.

Well, he was anyway.

The club have been looking to balance their wage books all summer and have been trying to get rid of some of their players.

Even captain Lionel Messi had to agree to a 50% salary cut to remain at the Blaugrana who are now turning their attention to the other high earners in the squad.

“Griezmann is a player that has a market, with clubs interested, and we are building the squad searching for a financial equilibrium,” Laporta recently told the Spanish press.

Laporta admitted that while they may not want to let Griezmann go, given the huge interest across Europe for the striker, they would be willing to seel him to take another huge burden off their wage books.

“But if the market moves, we are open to all offers because we are in a delicate moment where we have to balance financial fair play and because of that, we should speak with all the players so that it does not hurt them, or for the least time possible.

“We are making these balances and are open to all the options that the market can give us, but we don’t want to harm the team competitively.”

Barcelona were hoping that other players would follow in Messi’s footsteps but it appears that some are proving to be a bit more resistant.

According to Spanish newspaper, Mundo Deportivo, Barcelona are concluding legal action against players who reject the wage cuts.

While Sergio Busquets, Sergi Roberto and Gerard Pique have agreed cuts, Jordi Alba isn’t as willing, the paper said.

The club had started processes to trim that wage bill, terminating Matheus Fernandes’ contract.

Barcelona tried to do the same with defender Samuel Umtiti and midfielder Miralem Pjanic, hoping their exits would create the space they need to re-sign Messi.

However, Umtiti, in particular, is proving a tad difficult, with the Frenchman unwilling to leave the club until at least the end of next season.

Barcelona told the pair in a letter, sections of which were published by Marca, that “given the current financial situation of the club and the salary limit, we’re giving the player the option to terminate their contract with the club and to leave”.

Pjanic has three years left on his current deal, while Umtiti has two years on his contract and stand to lose €50 million and €35 million should they agree to terminate their contract.

With the players knowing that they won’t earn that salary anywhere else, they are clearly reluctant to give up their current deals.

Barcelona’s wages for the season before last was an amount of €671 million, however, that amount was reduced significantly after the COVID-19 pandemic hit.

The Spanish top flight’s salary cap for the previous campaign was €382.7 million, with Barcelona given some leeway.

Continue Reading

Latest Stories

The Daily

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Follow Us

Trending