Connect with us

News

New Injury Forces Serena Williams To Withdraw From 2019 Italian Open

Published

on

Serena Williams

Twenty-three time Grand Slam champion Serena Williams has withdrawn from the Italian Open after suffering a knee injury.

The American, 37, was set to play sister Venus Williams in the second round but said she would be “concentrating on rehab” instead. “I look forward to seeing you all at the French Open and next year in Rome,” she said.

Williams has also struggled with injury pulling out of the Miami Open at the third-round stage in March after a viral illness prevented her from competing in Indian Wells. The French Open tournament kicks off on 26 May and Williams is chasing her fourth title, while Wozniacki, a former Australian Open champion, has never gone beyond the quarter-final stage.

Facebook Comments

News

Judge Sets Bail At $750,000 Each For The Three Other Minneapolis Ex-Officers Accused Of Aiding And Abetting In Death Of George Floyd

Published

on

A judge has set bail at $750,000 each for the three other Minneapolis ex-officers charged with aiding and abetting in the killing of George Floyd.

The officers, Tou Thao, Thomas Lane, and J. Alexander Kueng made their first appearances in Hennepin County District Court as friends, relatives, and celebrities gathered for George Floyd memorial service in Minneapolis.

The Minneapolis Police Department fired them last week, along with Derek Chauvin, who is charged with second-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in Floyd’s May 25 death.

The white police officer was filmed in a viral video pinning down Floyd and pressing his knee into his neck, ignoring the African American man’s pleas that he can’t breathe, until he stopped moving.

Attorney Earl Gray, representing Lane argued for lower bail and told the court that Chauvin was the training officer for Lane and Kueng, who had been on the job just four and three days respectively.

Judge sets bail at $750,000 each for the three other Minneapolis ex-officers accused of aiding and abetting in death of George Floyd

“What was my client supposed to do but follow what his training officer said? Is that aiding and abetting a crime?” Gray asked.

Attorneys for Kueng and Thao did not address the merits of the charges in court and told reporters afterward that they declined to comment on the case for now out of respect for Floyd’s family on the day of his first memorial service.

Judge Paul Scoggin set their next court dates for June 29.

If convicted, Chauvin faces a maximum of 40 years in prison on the murder count and 10 years for manslaughter. Under Minnesota law, aiding and abetting second-degree murder is equivalent to a second-degree murder charge, meaning Thao, Lane, and Kueng face the same potential penalties as Chauvin if convicted.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Cristiano Ronaldo Is Now Football’s First Billionaire

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo has become football’s first-ever billionaire ahead of his arch-rival, Lionel Messi.

The Juventus and Portuguese footballer, 35, is the third sports star to reach the milestone, joining Tiger Woods and Floyd Mayweather Jr, according to Forbes. Hopefully, they won’t change their minds…lol

Ronaldo, who is in his second season with Juventus, earned $60 million in salary over the last year, even after taking a 30 percent pay cut because of the coronavirus pandemic in April, according to the magazine.

In his 17-year-old career, he has earned $650 million in salary during his career and is now set to reach $765 million in career salary when his current contract with Juventus concludes in June 2022.

The rest (roughly $350 million) comes from sponsorship deals with big brands.

“Cristiano Ronaldo is one of the greatest players of all time, in the world’s most popular sport, in an era when football has never been so rich,” Sporting Intelligence’s Nick Harris told the magazine. “He’s box office.”

His rival, Lionel Messi has earned a total of $605 million in salary since his professional debut 2005, and is expected to reach the $1bn mark next year.

The Barcelona star pocketed £84m in the past year from his own wages and endorsement deals – which include Pepsi and adidas.

But neither Messi nor Ronaldo were Forbes’ top-earning sports star this year – with that honour going to tennis ace Roger Federer.

The Swiss legend, 38, banked £86m to edge out the footballing duo.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

For The First Time Since March, New York City Reports No New Coronavirus Deaths In A Single Day

Published

on

New York City might be seeing a relief in it’s battle against the Coronavirus pandemic as it recorded no deaths in a single day for the first time since March.

According to preliminary data from the New York City’s health department, zero deaths were confirmed within a 24-hour period between Tuesday and Wednesday.

The latest figures offer a welcome glimmer of hope following weeks and months that have seen thousands of deaths in America’s commercial capital.

For the first time since March, New York City reports no new Coronavirus deaths in a single day

New York City’s death toll currently stands at 21,752 and even though the death toll did increase by 59 on Wednesday, those deaths had taken place on previous dates rather than in the 24-hour period from Tuesday to Wednesday.

The last time New York saw an increase of zero daily deaths was on March 12 – one day after the first death was confirmed in the city.

Health officials in New York cautioned that it’s still possible that the number could be upgraded due to lag times in reporting, because the three probable Coronavirus deaths during that period are still under investigation.

For the first time since March, New York City reports no new Coronavirus deaths in a single day

‘This is great news,’ Mayor Bill de Blasio’s press secretary Freddi Goldstein told the New York Daily News on Thursday night.

‘In the face of extraordinary challenges, New Yorkers have gone above and beyond to keep each other safe throughout the crisis,’ De Blasio’s spokeswoman Avery Cohen said.

‘With hope on the horizon, we will continue to do everything we can to reopen safely without losing sight of the progress we’ve made.’

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending