Connect with us

Media & Culture

Oprah Winfrey Donates $13 Million To Morehouse College

Published

on

Oprah Winfrey

Oprah Winfrey, on Monday, October 7, donated $13 million to Morehouse College.

The media mogul paid a visit to the prestigious all men’s historically black college for the 30th anniversary of the Oprah Winfrey Scholars Program. While there, she made a hefty donation to contribute to her scholarship program.

According to a news release from the school, Oprah Winfrey now has the largest endowment ever at Morehouse College in Atlanta after donating $13 million.

The Oprah Winfrey Scholars program started in 1989 and the fund stands at $12 million. Monday’s donation of $13 million pushed her total investment to $25 million.

The Oprah Winfrey Scholars Program has funded the education of about 600 scholars, the school’s release said, including Birmingham, Alabama Mayor Randall Woodfin who was elected in 2017 as the city’s youngest mayor in more than a century.

Addressing a room full of Oprah Winfrey scholars on Monday, Oprah said: “Seeing you young Oprah Winfrey scholars here today has moved me deeply. I am so proud of you, I’m proud of everybody in attendance at this school who is seeking to know more clearly who you are, the value you hold and how you will share that value with the rest of the world.”

She continued: “I was really surprised to learn that it has been 30 years since I’ve made that $12 million donation to Morehouse, and so today I would like to add $13 million to that.”

Reacting to Oprah’s donation, Morehouse President David A. Thomas said: “I’m grateful to Oprah Winfrey for her generosity. I am also feeling hopeful for Morehouse and what it has garnered in terms of philanthropic support with gifts like Oprah’s and Robert Smith’s. I am hopeful that this will also get others to step up with their support of Morehouse, but even more broadly, historically black colleges and universities.”

Winfrey’s donation comes after billionaire Robert Smith promised to pay off the student loan debt of the 2019 Morehouse graduates in May. Smith donated $34 million to the school last month, making good on his promise.

Facebook Comments

Media & Culture

‘I Was Nearly Eaten Alive In A Village’ : Mr Ibu Shares Horrific Experience

Published

on

Renowned Nigerian actor, Mr. Ibu known widely for his comic portrayal in movies has revealed how he was almost eaten alive by some cannibals in a remote place they went to shoot a movie.

Mr Ibu said that his colleagues had mistakenly left him behind at night after filming in the village when the near-death experience occurred. “My colleagues left me on set by mistake late in the night after shooting,” he told Daily Sun.

“However, the location manager had earlier admonished us to move in groups because, in the community, they eat human beings. However, it was quite late when we finished. We had two location buses and I was already sitting on the bus in front but because I was manager, I said let me organize the people on the bus behind before we moved.

“As I alighted, the bus in front zoomed off and before I made it to the second bus it also moved. I kept shouting as I chased both buses but nobody heard me and I was left alone.” Mr. Ibu said that his fear multiplied when he heard two male strangers speaking in a language he could understand, especially after remembering what the location manager told him.

According to him, the two men were discussing how tasty his flesh would be. The actor, born Mr Ibu explained that he approached the men and greeted them in the language they were speaking and they were surprised.

At this point, he said, one of the men told him to be prepared to run for his life as he was in danger. However, he revealed that a crowd kept gathering around him which heightened his anxiety.

Mr. Ibu said that it was at this time that his friends began to call out his name from afar.“They had returned just on time to rescue me with a team of policemen and vigilante. I was greatly relieved. The ordeal lasted for about two hours,” he disclosed.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Media & Culture

Davido Shows Off His New House | WATCH

Published

on

Davido is set to move into his new house at the plush vicinity of Banana Island.

This afternoon, the singer took to his Instagram stories to show off the crib which was built with an elevator.

In one photo he shared from inside the elevator, he wrote: ‘Always wanted to go up at the crib like this.’

Watch the video below.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Media & Culture

Forbes Revokes Kylie Jenner’s Billionaire Status, Accuses Her Of Inflating Her Income

Published

on

Kylie Jenner’s billionaire tag has been struck out by Forbes, months after being dubbed the world’s youngest billionaire.

Recall that in March 2019, the reality show star unseated Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg, then 35, as the youngest-ever self-made billionaire (he was 23 when he made his first billion 11 years ago in 2008).

Forbes has now revoked the 22-year-old’s billionaire status, and also accused her of ‘lying about company figures and forging tax returns’ to reach the billionaire status in its report titled “Inside Kylie Jenner’s Web of Lies — and Why She’s No Longer a Billionaire”

The American business magazine which reviewed filings from Coty, the beauty giant which the mother of one sold 51 percent of her Kylie Cosmetics to in a deal valued at $1.2 billion in January 2020, found that Kylie’s beauty company “is significantly smaller, and less profitable than the family has spent years leading the cosmetics industry and media outlets to believe”.

Forbes further revealed that the numbers the Kardashian-Jenner family gave for Kylie Cosmetics were questionable, especially after comparing them to the numbers following Coty’s acquisition.

With this new information and the COVID-19 pandemic, Kylie’s net worth is now according to their calculations “just under $900 million.”

The report read;

“More than a third of that is the estimated $340 million in post-tax cash she would have pocketed from selling a majority of her company.

“The rest is made up of revised earnings based on her business’s smaller size and a more conservative estimate of its profitability, plus the value of her remaining share of Kylie Cosmetics—which is not only smaller than the Jenners led us to believe, but is also worth less now than it was when the deal was announced in November, given the economic effects of the coronavirus.

“Revenues over a 12-month period preceding the deal: $177million according to the Coty presentation, far lower than the published estimates at the time.

“More problematic, Coty said that sales were up 40% from 2018, meaning the business only generated about $125 million that year, nowhere near the $360 million the Jenners had led Forbes to believe.

“Kylie’s skincare line, which launched in May 2019, did $100 million in revenues in its first month and a half, Kylie’s reps told us. The filings show the line was actually “on track” to finish the year with just $25 million in sales.”

Stephanie Wissink, an equity analyst covering consumer products at Jefferies told Forbes;

“It’s fair to say that everything the Kardashian-Jenner family does is oversized. To stay on-brand, it needs to be bigger than it is.”

Forbes added that when they reached out to the Kardashian-Jenner family with “questions” on Kylie Jenner’s personal fortune which sits at just under $900 million (with more than a third of her earnings coming from the Coty sale), they stopped answering.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending