Connect with us

News

Over 200 Arrested, Scores Wounded After “Yellow Vest” Protest Turns Violent In Paris

Published

on

France

French police arrested more than 200 people on Saturday after violence broke out in Paris in a fresh protest of “Yellow Vest” movement.

Paris department police said 237 people were arrested after groups of masked individuals plunged the capital’s landmark avenue of the Champs Elysees into chaos.

A burning newsagent's shop is seen during a demonstration by the "yellow vests" movement in Paris, France, March 16, 2019.   [Photo: VCG]

French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner said 1,500 people, known as far-left Black Blocs, hijacked the demonstration for fair fiscal policy and more money for the needy.

Images posted on social media showed individuals wearing black clothing and covering their faces with scarves, hurled stones and other projectiles at security forces who responded with teargas and water cannons.

A branch of Banque Tarneaud was in flames before firefighters arrived. 11 people were wounded in the blaze which forced the evacuation of the building.

Police said 60 individuals, including 17 police officers were wounded in the flare-up of violence.

“That is unacceptable,” denounced Prime Minister Edouard Philippe. “We are dealing with several hundred, several thousand in some cases, highly determined people who are there to create disorder,” he said.

“I gave very firm instructions that all those who are involved in (these) acts can be brought to court and severely punished,” he said.

It was the latest in a series of weekly demonstrations, coordinated by “Yellow Vest,” a movement that began in November 2018 against dwindling purchasing power. Then it morphed to a social uprising that forced French head of state to make a major U-turn.

This Saturday’s protest which organizers called as an “ultimatum” to French President Emmanuel Macron, drew 32,300 participants, compared with 28,600 numbered last week, but far below the turnout of 287,710 reported as its started.

Facebook Comments

News

Man City Sign Ruben Dias As Otamendi Joins Benfica

Published

on

Benfica announced the sale of Ruben Dias to Manchester City while confirming a deal for Nicolas Otamendi on Sunday.
Manchester City have signed centre-back Ruben Dias from Benfica in a transfer worth an initial £62million (€68m) with Nicolas Otamendi heading the opposite way in a separate deal.

Portugal international Dias, 23, has been a regular for Primeira Liga side Benfica since emerging through the academy ahead of the 2017-18 campaign.

Dias has been linked with a number of big-name clubs around Europe, including Manchester United, but rivals City have now reached an agreement with Benfica.

The Portuguese side confirmed the news on their official website on Sunday, shortly before announcing a €15m (£13.67m) deal is in place for Otamendi, who must now undergo a medical.

City will pay an additional €3.6m (£2.1m) in add-ons for Dias should he trigger various performance-related clauses.

Dias captained Benfica in Saturday’s victory over Moreirense and hugged his team-mates and sporting director Rui Costa as he left the field at full-time.

“It was a special moment [with Costa] and I think everyone already knows why,” Dias said after the game. “Obviously, people leave their mark on you, and the club also.

“Without a doubt, it was very special for me. I am very happy. It was very important to consecrate this game with a goal, it was very special for me.”

Dias’ arrival ends City manager Pep Guardiola’s search for a right-sided centre-back, 16 months after long-serving Vincent Kompany departed the Etihad Stadium for Anderlecht.

Otamendi – who played for Benfica’s Portuguese rivals Porto between 2010 and 2014 – spent five years with City and started 31 games in all competitions last term.

The 32-year-old won two Premier League titles, four EFL Cup trophies, two Community Shields and the FA Cup during his time in Manchester, having arrived from Valencia in 2015.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Manchester United Submit Final £90m ‘Take-It-Or-Leave-It’ Offer For Jadon Sancho

Published

on

Manchester United will reportedly make one final offer to Borussia Dortmund for Jadon Sancho, a player they have pursued all summer but made no progress in talks.

So far, their only signing of the transfer window has been the £40m addition of Donny van de Beek, who scored on his Premier League debut last weekend.

Jadon Sancho has been Man United’s top target all summer but with less than two weeks before the transfer window shuts he’s still with the German club.

Dortmund imposed an August 10 deadline for Manchester United to strike a deal with them but none of that materialized and the Bundesliga club have made several statements insisting he would not be sold this summer.

Earlier this week, sporting director Sebastian Kehl asserted that the England international would not be going anywhere but a new report saysMan United will test Dortmund’s resolve, though, with a final ‘take-it-or-leave-it’ bid.

According to the Mirror UK, Man United will reportedly offer £75million up front with a further £15million in add-ons while United’s executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward will also tell Dortmund there will be no negotiating over the fee or structure of the deal.

Dortmund’s asking price is said to be around the £108m mark but the Red Devils continue to be optimistic of getting a deal done before the October 18 deadline.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Togo’s Prime Minister And His Government Resign

Published

on

Togo’s Prime Minister Komi Selom Klassou and his government have resigned in a political reshuffle delayed by the Coronavirus pandemic.

The resignation came after President Faure Gnassingbe won his re-election in March, extending his 15-year-old rule and a family dynasty that began when his father took power in a 1967 coup.

Komi Selom Klassou has served as prime minister since 2015. Commenting on the resignation of the prime minister, Gnassingbe congratulated Klassou and his team for their “economic, political and social efforts and the encouraging results despite the health crisis around the world.”

The presidency did not say when a new prime minister would be appointed.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Latest Stories

ad

Trending