Connect with us

News

Prosecutors In Karim Benzema’s Sex-Tape Blackmail Trial Call For The Real Madrid Striker To Be Handed 10-Month Suspended Sentence And €75,000 Fine On Friday

Published

on

Prosecutors in Karim Benzema’s trial over an alleged attempt to blackmail former France team-mate Mathieu Valbuena with his sex tape have called for the Real Madrid player to be handed a 10-month suspended sentence and a €75,000 (£63,194) fine.

A verdict is expected to be delivered on Friday, October 22.

On day two of Benzema’s trial on Thursday, he was described as ‘cavalier’ after failing to show up.

The legal team acting on behalf of the Real Madrid striker told the court in Versailles on day one that professional obligations made it ‘impossible’ for him to attend.

Benzema had played in the Champions League in Ukraine the night before the first day of the trial and is now training for Sunday’s El Clasico clash with Barcelona in LaLiga – one of the biggest games in world football.

Investigators allege that the 33-year-old encouraged Valbuena to pay a group of alleged blackmailers in order to keep the sexually explicit tape out of the public eye.

Prosecutors say Valbuena received a first call threatening to expose the sex tape in early June 2015 while at the French squad’s training centre in Clairefontaine, west of Paris.

The anonymous caller said he wanted to ‘come to an arrangement’ with Valbuena and told him to name an intermediary.

Prosecutors allege Benzema was recruited by the alleged blackmailers to convince his team-mate to pay up.

Benzema has denied wrongdoing and his lawyer has described the case against the player as ‘absurd’.

The President of the Tribunal furiously condemned Benzema’s absence from the trial and its potential impact on the case.

He said on Thursday morning: ‘I find it cavalier that he is not here and that we do not have many resources presented to us on this element of the trial.’

Valbuena will also miss the afternoon session on Thursday as he leaves for Frankfurt in Germany to play for Olympiacos in the Europa League – European football’s secondary club competition.

According to French radio station RMC, a verdict in the trial could come as soon as Friday with Benzema facing up to five years in jail and a £63,000 (€75,000) fine if convicted.

Maitre Antoine Vey, Karim Benzema’s lawyer, once again protested her client’s innocence in his absence on Thursday.

As reported by Marca, he said: ‘This matter, from day one, has had a huge impact on both sides.

‘Judicial information was produced by leaks in the press. Both learned of Benzema’s participation more from the press than from Valbuena himself. It has repercussions.

‘Beyond that, it is a case in which Benzema has always remembered his total innocence. He does not get involved directly in the exchanges that concern other defendants.

‘His voice is easy to carry: he intervened in a single conversation with Mr. Valbuena to offer, if he so wished, freely and without consideration, to try to prevent this sex tape from coming out.’

Benzema is accused of complicity to attempted blackmail. His four co-accused face charges of attempted blackmail.

News

Parliament Rejects 2022 Budget After NPP MPs Walked Out

Published

on

Parliament has rejected the 2022 Budget Statement and Economic Policy read in the House by the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, last week.

Members on the Majority side of Parliament staged a walkout on Friday, November 26, 2021, following a disagreement over a directive by the Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin, for non-MPs to vacate the Chamber.

The Majority’s actions did not prevent the House from continuing with the business of the day as the budget received a rejection by solely NDC MPs.

The Majority MPs demanded that General Secretary of the NDC Johnson Asiedu Nketia who was seated in the public gallery leaves Parliament before they continue with the business of the House.

“Clearly, the No’s have it. The motion is accordingly lost,” the Speaker ruled.

Mr Asiedu Nketia ignored their request which infuriated the Majority MPs who walked out of the Chamber, leaving only members on the Minority side.

The Speaker of Parliament thus suspended the sitting for five minutes after which the business of the day proceeded.

A last-minute request by the Finance Minister to meet with the leadership of the House was turned down by MPs after the Speaker of Parliament announced that the ‘Nos’ had won the voice vote.

Continue Reading

News

Prempeh College Wins The 2021 National Science & Maths Quiz

Published

on

After months of intensive preparations, learning and competing with several schools Prempeh College has emerged as the winners for the 2021 edition of the National Science and Maths Quiz.

The Grand Finale of the NSMQ 2021 was held at the Great Hall of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology-KNUST.

Prempeh College beat their rivals Presec with an interval of 4 points, having total points of 53 points and for the second position school which is Presec ending the contest with 49 points, Keta SHTS placed third with 30 points.

This is the fifth time Prempeh College has managed to win this competition.

We say CONGRATULATIONS to Prempeh College.

Continue Reading

News

Jake Paul Claims Floyd Mayweather Tried To Get Him Assassinated In Miami

Published

on

YouTube personality-turned boxer, Jake Paul claimed undefeated boxer Floyd Mayweather tried to have him assassinated earlier this year.

Paul and Mayweather were involved in a heated confrontation at a pre-fight press conference for the former world champion’s exhibition bout with his brother Logan Paul in June.

Mayweather had his hat stolen by Paul, who said “got ya hat” as he ran off, with a brawl ensuing backstage at the event afterward.

Paul then went on to mock Mayweather on social media, selling merchandise with the “got ya hat” phrase emblazoned upon it, and even got the phrase tattooed on his calf afterward.

Mayweather was incensed by Paul, with the 24-year-old now claiming that the retired boxer wanted to “kill” him due to the stunt.

Speaking on the FULL SEND podcast in September, Paul said: “He was trying to get me killed behind the scenes, for sure.

“He was calling, like, ‘the gangsters,’ because we were in Miami at the time. He was, like, calling the ‘street people,’ ’cause my security is tapped into the street people.

“They were like, ‘Yo, you guys gotta be f**king careful. He’s trying to do something.

“So, whatever the f**k that meant, or means… I was like, ‘Alright, if this is how I die, this is how I die.’”

No winner was declared when Mayweather fought his older brother in Miami in June, with the eight-round bout rounding off a card that also included Badou Jack.

Continue Reading

Latest Stories

The Daily

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Follow Us

Trending