Connect with us

News

Russia Approves First Coronavirus Vaccine; Putin Says His Daughter Received Dose

Published

on

President Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday that Russia had become the first country in the world to grant regulatory approval to a COVID-19 vaccine after less than two months of human testing, a move hailed by Moscow as evidence of its scientific prowess.

The vaccine still has to complete final trials, raising concerns among some experts at the speed of its approval, but the Russian business conglomerate Sistema has said it expects to put it into mass production by the end of the year.

Russian health workers treating Covid-19 patients will be offered the chance of volunteering to be vaccinated in the coming weeks, a source told Reuters last month.

Regulatory approval paves the way for the mass inoculation of the Russian population and authorities hope it will allow the economy, which has been battered by fallout from the virus, to return to full capacity.

Kirill Dmitriev, head of Russia’s sovereign wealth fund, hailed the development as a historic “Sputnik moment”, comparable to the Soviet Union’s 1957 launch of Sputnik 1, the world’s first satellite.

The vaccine will be marketed under the name ‘Sputnik V’ on foreign markets, he said.

Dmitriev said Russia had already received foreign requests for 1 billion doses. International agreements had been secured to produce 500 million doses annually, with the vaccine also expected to be produced in Brazil.

He said clinical trials were expected to start soon in the United Arab Emirates and the Philippines.

But only about 10 percent of a clinical trials are successful, and the speed at which Russia has moved, approving a vaccine before the final stages of trials to test safety and efficacy are over, has worried some scientists, who fear Moscow may be putting national prestige before safety.

Speaking at a government meeting on state television, Putin dismissed those concerns, saying the vaccine, developed by Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute, was safe and that it had even been administered to one of his daughters.

“I know that it works quite effectively, forms strong immunity, and I repeat, it has passed all the needed checks,” said Putin.

He said he hoped mass production would start soon.

The vaccine’s approval by the health ministry comes before the start of a larger trial involving thousands of participants, commonly known as a Phase III trial.

Such trials, which require a certain rate of participants catching the virus to observe the vaccine’s effect, are normally considered essential precursors for a vaccine to receive regulatory approval.

The Moscow-based Association of Clinical Trials Organizations (ACTO), a trade body representing the world’s top drugmakers in Russia this week urged the health ministry to postpone approval until that final trial had been successfully completed.

In a letter to the ministry, it said there were high risks associated with registering a drug before that happened.

“It is during this phase that the main evidence of a vaccine’s efficacy is collected, as well as information on adverse reactions that could appear in certain groups of patients: people with weakened immunity, people with concomitant diseases and so forth,” it said.

Some international experts have also questioned the speed at which Russia approved its vaccine.

“Normally you need a large number of people to be tested before you approve a vaccine,” said Peter Kremsner from the University Hospital in Tuebingen, currently testing CureVac’s Covid-19 vaccine in clinical trials.

“In that respect, I think it’s reckless to do that (approve it) if lots of people haven’t already been tested.”

Duncan Matthews, a professor of intellectual property law at Queen Mary University of London, said news of a potential Covid-19 vaccine was to be welcomed, “but safety must be the priority”.

“The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Medicines Agency (EMA) have fast-track approval procedures for emergency humanitarian use and we need to see evidence that Russia is adopting an equally prudent approach,” Matthews said in an emailed comment.

More than 100 possible vaccines are being developed around the world to try to stop the Covid-19 pandemic. At least four are in final Phase III human trials, according to WHO data.

Facebook Comments

News

Liverpool Signs Diogo Jota For £41m

Published

on

Premier League champions, Liverpool have completed the £41million signing of Wolves forward Diogo Jota.

The 23-year-old signed a five-year contract with the Merseyside club to complete a double swoop for the Reds after the £25m signing of Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich on Friday.

Upon sealing the transfer on Saturday, Jota told Liverpoolfc.com: It’s just a really exciting moment for me and my family.’

Liverpool complete ?41m signing of Portuguese forward Diogo Jota from Wolves (photos)

All of my path since I was a kid and now, to join a club like Liverpool – the world champions – is just unbelievable. I just want to get started.

‘It is one of the best teams in the world – the best at the moment because they are world champions. When you look at the Premier League, you always see Liverpool as one of the biggest teams in the country, so it’s impossible to say no.

Liverpool complete ?41m signing of Portuguese forward Diogo Jota from Wolves (photos)

‘So we just want to come [here], to give our best and hopefully I can become a good option for Liverpool in the future.’

He will wear the vacant No.20 shirt for the Reds, taking over from Adam Lallana who signed for Brighton this summer.

Liverpool complete ?41m signing of Portuguese forward Diogo Jota from Wolves (photos)

Diogo who spent three seasons with Wolves after his move from Atlético Madrid, made 67 appearances and scored 16 goals for the premier league club.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Kennedy Agyapong’s Baby Mama Confirms The Politician Helped Sylvester Ofori

Published

on

One name that has been in the news these past few weeks is Sylvester Ofori the Ghanaian pastor who shot his wife identified as Barbara Tommey seven(7) times in Orlando in the United States.

After the incident happened, US-based Ghanaian broadcast journalist Kevin Ekow Taylor came out and alleged that Sylvester was taken to the US with the help of a politician and the member of parliament for Assin Central Hon. Kennedy Agyapong.

Shedding more lights on the matter, he revealed that Sylvester Ofori after winning the American lottery adding that his real name is not even Sylvester Ofori but rather Kwame Bonsu.

He said: ” This pastor they say had killed his wife, mmmm so bad. They say his name is Sylvester Ofori, Anyone who would Argue should come. His surname name is “Bonsu”. Somebody took him to America. The personality that took him to America is a politician and he talk’s a lot in Ghana so if any blame go and give it to the person”

Though he failed to provide proof to back his allegations, the baby mama of the Kennedy Agyapong identified Miora Dorson-William has come out to confirm the allegations leveled against the politician by Kevin Taylor.

According to her, Kennedy was the one who took Sylvester to the US under the disguise of a new name which we all now know.

She continued that she is surprised that the politician during his exposé on some Ghanaian pastors failed to mention that there is this fake pastor in the United States known as Sylvester.

Miora blamed the father of her daughter that he is the cause of the death of Barbara Tommey because if he had exposed him, things wouldn’t have gotten to this state.

The baby mama in a video sighted and available also used the opportunity to bash two presenters of RTV who she claimed insulted her for jubilating over the court case involving Kennedy Agyapong and some judges.

Kennedy Agyapong has been charged to face the court to explain why he shouldn’t be sentenced of jailed for insulting a judge during one of his submissions on television.

Even though the politician has apologized for his statement, many people are calling to him to be jailed so he can stop running his mouth.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Woman Twerks On Top Of Half-Opened Coffin As Funeral Takes Strange Turn | WATCH

Published

on

A funeral ceremony in Ecuador took a strange turn when a woman jumped on top of a half-open coffin and started twerking.

Mobile phone footage taken by a spectator shows the young woman sitting astride the coffin and dancing to the reggae music. She made a number of sexual moves and even leaned into the open part of the coffin to blow a kiss as she twerked.

Mourners watched this display in the middle of a road in the city of Manta, in the province of Manabí, Ecuador, and filmed with their phones.

A large crowd of men is seen cheering in high spirits as the music blasts from a loudspeaker.

The video was shared on Twitter along with a caption: “If yo girl doesn’t do this at yo funeral is she really yo girl.”

According to El Universo, the deceased was identified as 38-year-old Marlon Mero Quijije.

He was shot three times in different parts of his body when he was walking in the neighborhood of San Jose in Manta and was pronounced dead at the hospital.

Prosecutors believed he was a victim of an apparent robbery and was attacked when he resisted.

Diego Bolaños, Chief of Operations of the Manta District Police, explained that six bullet holes were found in the area of the attack, of which three hit Marlon.

He added that Marlon had no criminal record.

Below is the twerk video:

View this post on Instagram

A funeral ceremony in Ecuador took a strange turn when a woman jumped on top of a half-open coffin and started twerking. Mobile phone footage taken by a spectator shows the young woman sitting astride the coffin and dancing to the reggae music playing. She made a number of sexual moves and even leaned into the open part of the coffin to blow a kiss as she twerked. Mourners watched this display in the middle of a road in the city of Manta, in the province of Manabí, Ecuador, and filmed with their phones. A large crowd of men are seen cheering in high spirits as the music blasts from a loudspeaker. The video was shared on Twitter along with a caption: "If yo girl don't do this at yo funeral is she really yo girl." According to El Universo, the deceased was identified as 38-year-old Marlon Mero Quijije. He was shot three times in different parts of his body when he was walking in the neighbourhood of San Jose in Manta and was pronounced dead at the hospital. Prosecutors believed he was a victim of an apparent robbery and was attacked when he resisted. Diego Bolaños, Chief of Operations of the Manta District Police, explained that six bullet holes were found in the area of the attack, of which three hit Marlon. He added that Marlon had no criminal record. 📹 @OutSmokeChapo

A post shared by Lindaikejiblog (@lindaikejiblogofficial) on

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Latest Stories

ad

Trending