Connect with us

News

The Shipyard That Built The Titanic Is Heading For Bankruptcy

Published

on

New York(CNN Business) Harland and Wolff, the 158-year-old shipyard in Northern Ireland that built the Titanic, is preparing for bankruptcy.

The UK government named an administrator to oversee the company’s restructuring, a Harland and Wolff spokesman said. The case is expected to be in a UK court on Tuesday.

The shipyard in Belfast employed about 35,000 at its pre-World War II peak in 1935. It has only 123 full-time employees today. It has not built a ship since 2003, when it built two ferries. Since then, Harland and Wolff has concentrated on renewable energy, including offshore wind and tidal turbines.

Workers have been occupying the shipyard for the last week and vowed Monday to continue to fight to keep it in business. The union expects to file in court on Tuesday to seek an injunction from the shipyard closing.

“We will not give up on this famous shipyard,” said Michael Mulholland, a union organizer. “The occupation will continue — and our battle will continue.”

It had been competing for a contract for two frigates for the British Navy, and had been seeking a £600,000 ($730,000) bridge loan to avoid bankruptcy while it waited to hear on that contract and another renewable energy contract that are expected to be awarded in the coming months. But it had not been able to get the bridge loan, making the bankruptcy process its only choice. The spokesman said it will be up to the administrator whether or not the company is able to stay in business or be liquidated.

Much of the world’s cargo shipbuilding has shifted to lower-cost Asian manufacturers, and the business of building luxury cruise ships is dominated by European shipbuilders STX Europe, Meyer Werft and Fincantieri. Harland and Wolff and other UK shipbuilders lost out on that business to its European rivals decades ago.y

The company is most famous for building the Titanic a bit more than a century ago. It started construction of the Titanic and two sister ships, the Olympic and the Britannic, for White Star Lines in 1909. The Titanic was nearly 900 feet long, making it the largest passenger ship at that time.

The shipyard completed the Titanic in 1912, shortly before its inaugural voyage in April of that year. The ship hit an iceberg in the North Atlantic and sank, killing 1,517 of the 2,223 passengers and crew on board.

The company was still successful even after the Titanic disaster and World War I sinking of the Britannic. But with the growth of trans-Atlantic air travel after World War II, the shipbuilding industry started to shrink.

Harland and Wolff were nationalized in 1975. It was purchased by Fred Olsen Energy, a Norwegian offshore drilling company, in 1989, when it still had about 10,000 employees. That company, now known as Dolphin Drilling, itself filed for bankruptcy earlier this year and put Harland and Wolff up for sale. A deadline it had set for finding a buyer expired at 5 pm Belfast time Monday.

Facebook Comments

News

Ibrah One Releases PHOTO Of A Lady He Banged Together With Kennedy Agyapong

Published

on

Ibrahim Dauda has once again struck hard Kennedy Agyapong with the photo of a beautiful slay queen they both bonked together some time ago.

The young millionaire is not done with Kennedy Agyapong after the latter some time ago silenced him in the country. This move by Ibrah is an act of revenge on Kennedy Agyapong.

Ibrah One on social media uploaded the photo of a young lady alleging that she is one of the numerous ladies Kennedy Agyapong pays to sleep with.

He claims he also bonked the beautiful lady without paying a penny to her. In this case, he means Ken Agyapong is weak in bed and can’t satisfy women.

The socialite mocked Assin Central MP saying all he knows best is making noise and insulting people on television and also paying huge sums of money to ladies leaving them unsatisfied in bed for other men to ‘eat’ them.

Captioning the post he made on social media, Ibra One wrote; “Most of the girls you pay huge amount of money before you fvck them have all fvck me for free, they ask me not to snap them cos they fvck you also, you are old and cant last in bed so they take your money and come fvck me for free, next time go seat on your tv and disgrace any leader and I will also start to name some girls both of us fvck. We all know how to do kiss and tell just that we protecting some people’s images”.

Again, Ibrah One threatened to go the extra mile in exposing Kennedy Agyapong should he sit on tv to attack or insult any leader again.

See the photo below.

Lady with Ibra One

One can notice from the post that Ibrahim Dauda aka Ibrah One is bent on dealing with Kennedy Agyapong in equal footing to bring his name to disrepute just as he did to him.

Ibrah

Kennedy Agyapong and Ibrah One while back dominated headlines. They were engaged in a serious fight.

Both threw shots at each other on several occasions when the former accusing the latter of being a money launderer and a fraud boy(sakawa).

The issue escalated to a point where it was reported that Ibrah One fled to the Volta Region to seek sanctuary after personnel from national security stormed his house to arrest him in response to a call on them by Kennedy Agyapong.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Lionel Messi Blasts Barcelona For ‘Throwing’ Luis Suárez Out Of The Club

Published

on

Lionel Messi has launched a fresh attack on Barcelona’s hierarchy for the way the club treated his close friend Luis Suárez after the striker left for rival club, Atlético Madrid.

The Argentine playmaker, who threatened to leave Barça last month and recently hit out at the club’s president Josep Maria Bartomeu’s leadership, said Suárez was harshly treated and ‘thrown out’ of the club.

In an emotional goodbye post dedicated to Suarez, the club’s third-highest scorer of all time, Messi wrote: “I had already begun to imagine it but today I went into the dressing room and it truly dawned on me. It’s going to be so difficult to not continue to share every day with you both on the pitches and away from them.

“We’re going to miss you so much. We spent many years together, many mates, many lunches and many dinners. So many things we will never forget, all the time we spent together.

“It will be strange to see you in another shirt and much more to come up against you on the pitch. You deserved a farewell that fit with who you are: one of the most important players in the history of the club. Someone who achieved great things for the team and on an individual level.

“You did not deserve for them to throw you out as they did. But the truth is that at this stage nothing surprises me anymore.”

View this post on Instagram

Ya me venía haciendo la idea pero hoy entré al vestuario y me cayó la ficha de verdad. Que difícil va a ser no seguir compartiendo el día a día con vos, tanto en las canchas como afuera. Los vamos a extrañar muchísimo. Fueron muchos años, muchos mates, comidas, cenas… Muchas cosas que nunca se van a olvidar, todos los días juntos. Va a ser raro verte con otra camiseta y mucho más enfrentarte. Te merecías que te despidan como lo que sos: uno de los jugadores más importantes de la historia del club, consiguiendo cosas importantes tanto en lo grupal como individualmente. Y no que te echen como lo hicieron. Pero la verdad que a esta altura ya no me sorprende nada. Te deseo todo lo mejor en este nuevo desafío. Te quiero mucho, los quiero mucho. Hasta pronto, amigo.

A post shared by Leo Messi (@leomessi) on

On Thursday, an emotional Suarez said goodbye to Barcelona and paid tribute to Messi after sealing a switch to Atletico Madrid. The Uruguay international had previously made it clear that he wanted to stay and see out his contract but was told by Barca’s new coach Ronald Koeman that his playing days were over at the club.

Suarez helped the club win four LaLiga titles, four Copa del Rey crowns, and the Champions League in 2015. He scored 195 goals and provided 113 assists in 283 outings for the club before his exit.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Western Togoland ‘Military’ Group Block Major Roads To The Volta Region

Published

on

Reports reaching KUBILIVE reveal there is chaos on Kpong-Akosombo road as young men believed to be members of the Western Togoland have mounted roadblock at Akrade preventing vehicular movement.

The group said to be wielding implements and sticks chanting war songs mounted the roadblock around 3: 00 am Friday turning away vehicles as they claim ownership of the area.

Armed Police and Military officers have been deployed to the scene.

The Western Togolanders also used heaps of sands to block the Mepe-Sege road and the Accra-Ho road at Juapong preventing the flow of traffic.

As a result of the blocks, most passengers traveling to areas in the Volta Region including Tefle, Tsopoli, and Juapong have all been left stranded

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Latest Stories

ad

Trending