Connect with us

News

Trump Files Libel Lawsuit Against The New York Times Over ‘False And Defamatory Statements’ On Russia

Published

on

Trump

US President, Donald Trump’s 2020 campaign has filed a libel lawsuit against The New York Times alleging the newspaper “knowingly published false and defamatory statements” connecting Trump to Russia in a March 2019 opinion piece, taking his war with the media to different heights.

Opinion pieces by The New York Times are published in The Times’ opinion section, which is separate from the organization’s newsroom and has a different leadership and control.

The March 2019 piece at the center of the defamation lawsuit was written by Max Frankel, a former executive editor of The Times, and was titled “The Real Trump-Russia Quid Pro Quo.”

In the opinion piece, Frankel wrote “there was no need for detailed electoral collusion between the Trump campaign and Vladimir Putin’s oligarchy” as the Trump campaign and Putin “had an overarching Quid Pro Quo deal: the quid of help in the campaign against Hillary Clinton for the quo of a new pro-Russian foreign policy, starting with relief from the Obama administration’s burdensome economic sanctions.”

The Trump campaign’s lawsuit alleges that The Times was “well aware when it published these statements that they were not true.” and that The Times published the opinion piece “knowing it would misinform and mislead its own readers” because the newspaper harbors “extreme bias and animosity” toward Trump.

Trump files libel lawsuit against The New York Times over

The Trump campaign also added as evidence, previous articles published by The Times about the meeting Donald Trump Jr. participated in with a Russian lawyer at Trump Tower. The campaign in it’s lawsuit noted that The Times had been provided a statement from Trump Jr. in which he said the meeting “provided no meaningful information.” but that The Times still went ahead to publish Frankel’s opinion piece ahead of the release of former Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s report into Russian interference in the 2016 election because the media house knew it “was likely to exonerate the Campaign from allegations of collusion.”

“Once the Mueller Report was released, The Times knew that any claims of conspiracy would not be credible,” the lawsuit said. “Thus, by publishing the Defamatory Article in March 2019, The Times sought to damage the Campaign before the Mueller Report would be released debunking the conspiracy claims.”

In a statement, a spokesperson for The Times reacted to the lawsuit, saying, “The Trump Campaign has turned to the courts to try to punish an opinion writer for having an opinion they find unacceptable.”

“Fortunately, the law protects the right of Americans to express their judgments and conclusions, especially about events of public importance. We look forward to vindicating that right in this case.”

Facebook Comments

News

Cristiano Ronaldo Tops Chart For Highest-Earning Athlete On Instagram

Published

on

Juventus and Portugal striker, Cristiano Ronaldo has topped the chart for the highest-earning athlete on Instagram after he made roughly £1.9m during Coronavirus lockdown.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner, who has 219 million Instagram followers commanded the highest fee at an estimated £470,584 per sponsored post, of which he made four on his page during the lockdown period of March 12 to May 14.

His arch-rival and Barcelona superstar, Lionel Messi came second in list, earning £1.3m overall from the four sponsored posts he made.

Paris Saint-Germain superstar, Neymar is third in the charts, earning an estimated £1.2m.

Three other footballers also made it in the top 10 list. They include former England and Manchester United star David Beckham (£405,000), AC Milan’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic (£184,000) and São Paulo FC’s Dani Alves (£134,000).

Cristiano Ronaldo tops chart for highest-earning athlete on Instagram during COVID-19 lockdown ahead of Messi and Neymar after making estimated ?1.9m

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Lesotho Former First Lady Sent Back To Prison Over Murder Of Rival

Published

on

The wife of former Lesotho Prime Minister Thomas Thabane, who was charged with the murder of her husband’s first wife, returned to prison on Wednesday after the court annulled her judicial review.

Maesaiah Thabane, 43, was charged back in February for her involvement in the 2017 murder of Lipolelo Thabane, the first wife of Thomas Thabane. She spent one night in jail before a High Court freed her on a 1,000 maloti ($57) bail.

Lipolelo was shot by gunmen shortly before her estranged husband’s inauguration as the Prime Minister and weeks before he married Maesaiah in 2017.

The former couple were separated and had been pursuing a divorce before her death.

Lesotho former first lady sent back to prison over murder of rival (Photos)

Last week Friday, the Lesotho Court of Appeal overturned the controversial judicial supervision measures she had enjoyed after she was granted bail in the case.

After the ruling, the police could not immediately arrest her because she was in South Africa with her husband who had travelled to the neighboring country for treatment.

On Wednesday she arrived at the magistrate court in Maseru under the escort of armed police officers.

Lesotho former first lady sent back to prison over murder of rival (Photos)

Judge Thamae Thamae told her she will remain in prison and will be reconvened on 16 June 2020.

“The decision of the High Court to grant you bail has been set aside by the Court of Appeal,” said the magistrate.

“You will remain in the correctional facility. You will report back on 16 June 2020 to find out the progress of your case.”

After her appearance in court, Police officers immediately whisked her away.

The murder of Lipolelo Thabane, also led to the resignation of 80-year-old Thomas Thabane on 19 May over his alleged involvement in her death.

Back in Febuary, authorities also wanted to charge him but he asked the Constitutional Court to stop the courts from trying him for the crime while he remained in office.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

“If That $20 Bill Was A Counterfeit, George Didn’t Know It!” : Floyd’s Roommate Says He Was A Good Man Who Would Never Use Fake Cash, Take Drugs And Barely Drank Alcohol

Published

on

George Floyd’s roommate has said that the $20 bill that instigated his arrest and his death may not have been a fake. He added that if it was, Floyd would have never intentionally used counterfeit cash.

Floyd’s roommate of four years, Alvin Manago, 55, told DailyMail.com in an exclusive interview that Floyd was a stand-up guy and if he did use a counterfeit bill at the store before his death, it was “unintentional”.

He said: “I’ve never known Floyd to use any counterfeit money. If he tried to pass along a counterfeit $20 bill it was unintentional. He probably didn’t know the money was fake.

“I’m just not sure why the store employees didn’t just tell him it was a fake $20. They all knew him then. He was a regular customer.”

Manago met George Floyd, 46, when they worked together at the Conga Bistro Bar and Grill. Floyd worked security and Manago worked as a bar back. Manago says they had been roommates for almost four years and considers him one of his best friends.

The house where George lived

Floyd died last Monday after being killed during an arrest in Minneapolis, Minnesota, for allegedly trying to use a counterfeit $20 at a local market.

His death has sparked protests in different cities across the United States.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending