Connect with us

News

Turkey Charges 20 Saudis Over Jamal Khashoggi Murder Including Two Aides To Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman

Published

on

Jamal Khashoggi

Turkey has officially charged 20 suspects including two aides to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman over the murder of the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul in October 2018.

The 59-year-old commentator and Riyadh critic who wrote for The Washington Post was killed after he entered the Saudi consulate on October 2, 2018, to obtain paperwork for his wedding to Turkish fiancee Hatice Cengiz.

According to Turkish officials, Khashoggi was strangled and his body cut into pieces by a 15-man Saudi squad inside the consulate. His remains have never been found since then.

On Wednesday, the office of the Istanbul chief prosecutor, Irfan Fidan, said in a statement that the former royal court adviser Saud al-Qahtani and former deputy head of intelligence Ahmed al-Asiri were among the suspects charged with “instigating a premeditated murder with the intent of [causing] torment through fiendish instinct.”

Eighteen other suspects including intelligence operative Maher Mutreb who frequently travelled with the crown prince on foreign tours, forensic expert Salah al-Tubaigy and Fahad al-Balawi, a member of the Saudi royal guard were also charged with ‘deliberately and monstrously killing, causing torment’.

Turkey charges 20 Saudis over Jamal Khashoggi murder including two aides to Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman

Arrest warrants for the suspects have already been issued but since none are in the country a trial in absentia will be opened at an unspecified date, the prosecutor has said.

At that time, the CIA, along with several Western governments accused the crown prince of ordering Khashoggi’s assassination. The kingdom has since denied such claims, but blamed a “rogue operation” for Khashoggi’s death.

It was also revealed that Saudi Arabia has rejected Turkish calls for the suspects’ return to face trial in Turkey despite sentencing five unidentified people to death in December 2019.

Turkey is seeking life imprisonment in all 20 cases in the murder.

Facebook Comments

News

Facebook Posts Falsely Claim That The US Arrested A Chinese Scientist Who “Created” The Coronavirus

Published

on

Coronavirus

Facebook posts shared thousands of times feature a video of US officials talking to reporters, with captions claiming they are announcing the arrest of a Chinese scientist who “created” the new coronavirus. However, the footage has nothing to do with COVID-19 and scientists have refuted allegations the virus was deliberately created.
“USA Arrested A Chinese Scientist That Created Coronavirus (sic),” reads the caption on a video shared more than 3,500 times by MOB TV, a Facebook page covering Nigerian news.

The clip features two officials from the US Department of Justice holding a press conference.

“We’re here today to announce three separate cases highlighting the ongoing threat posed by Chinese economic espionage and research theft,” one of the men says, standing in front of a US Department of Justice sign.

“China’s communist government’s goal, simply put, is to replace the United States as the world’s leading superpower and they’re breaking the law to get there,” his colleague says later on in the footage.

However, at no point do they refer to the coronavirus pandemic that has claimed more than 50,000 lives around the world as of April 3, 2020.

AFP ran a reverse image search on the video using the InVID We Verify tool, which traced the footage to local news reports on a press conference on January 28, 2020, in Boston, Massachusetts.

Scientists charged
At the conference, US Attorney for Massachusetts Andrew Lelling and the head of Boston’s Federal Bureau of Intelligence (FBI), Joseph Bonavolonta, announced the arrest of a Harvard scientist and two Chinese nationals for hiding alleged ties to China.

AFP reported that US prosecutors charged the chairman of Harvard University’s chemistry and chemical biology department Charles Lieber with hiding his alleged role in a Chinese government programme that security officials say steals trade secrets.

Two other scientists, both Chinese nationals, were also charged as part of an investigation into hundreds of cases of alleged theft by Chinese scientists in the US.

The arrests were widely covered by local media, who broadcast footage from the original press conference.

Virus not man-made
Experts have refuted the theory that the new coronavirus was deliberately created. In a letter published in The Lancet medical journal, various public health scientists said that the virus “originated in wildlife”.

“We stand together to strongly condemn conspiracy theories suggesting that COVID-19 does not have a natural origin. Scientists from multiple countries … overwhelmingly conclude that this coronavirus originated in wildlife, as have so many other emerging pathogens,” it reads.

Scientists at the Ohio State University in the US also published a paper concluding there was “no credible evidence” that the new coronavirus was engineered in a laboratory.

The coronavirus outbreak has sparked a surge in anti-Chinese sentiment on social media, while US President Donald Trump has called for the protection of Asian communities after his use of the term “Chinese virus” sparked a backlash.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Daniel Maldini Confirms He Is ‘No Longer Showing Any Symptoms’ For Coronavirus

Published

on

Daniel Maldini

Milan starlet Daniel Maldini has confirmed that he is ‘no longer showing any symptoms’ for coronavirus.

Daniel and father Paolo were both struck down by COVID-19 last month, but the young attacker assures he is now fit enough to resume training at home.

“I’m fine, I’m no longer showing any symptoms and I’ve resumed individual training,” he said during a live Instagram Q&A.

The 18-year-old has two legendary mentors in Zlatan Ibrahimovic and his dad.

“Ibrahimovic’s given me a lot of advice, both on and off the pitch. The legacy of my grandfather Cesare and dad Paolo is an important responsibility, but I’ve been used to this pressure from an early age.”

Daniel debuted for the first team against Verona in a 1-1 draw last month, before the season was cut short by coronavirus.

“In my head I was fairly calm and focused on the game, but San Siro gave me a unique emotion, the best I’ve experienced in this sport.”

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Vinicius Working Tirelessly To Return From Crisis In Flying Form

Published

on

Vinicius

The Brazilian is doing a couple of training sessions a day under the eye of his trainer, Thiago Lobo, and he wants to be at top speed when football returns.

Vinicius is working tirelessly during the coronavirus shutdown. He’s not just going through the motions either with two workout sessions a day under the watchful eye of his physical trainer, Thiago Lobo. The work takes place in the mornings and in the evenings, seven days a week.

The coronavirus has thrown everyone’s routines off-kilter. Everyone has been forced to adapt to a new normal including Real Madrid’s players. For Vinicius, the break comes at a terrible time given how good he was playing when LaLiga was interrupted by the coronavirus. In his head, he is only thinking about one thing: getting back to where he was before the rug was pulled out from underneath us. He wants to control the things he can control and his physical fitness is one of them.

In total, Vinicius works at least three and a half hours a day to maintain his fitness and strength. With Lobo, he works on a strict plan that is extra to his normal workout and is always okayed by the club. Dupont, the team’s trainer, gives him workouts to do as homework and Lobo adds that little bit more.

With or without the ball, Vinicius is a player who trains with a smile on his face and he hasn’t lost that despite Spain’s strict isolation rules. He has a gym in his house along with a garden to do the rest of the work necessary to remain in shape.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

ads




Like Facebook Page

Trending

Trending

Follow me on Twitter

Trending

Trending

DJ FortuneDJ — B.A.D Influence (Full Album)

Trending

Trending

Trending

Trending

Trending This Week

Latest Stories

Viewer’s Choice

Trending