Connect with us

News

UAE: No Country For Bad Men, Dubai Police Crack Down On Notorious Criminals

Published

on

Dubai Police has one simple message for criminals – you can run but you can’t hide, at least not for long. In recent months, Dubai Police have caught several internationally wanted criminals including drug lords and mob bosses responsible for violent crimes. Here’s a lowdown on them.

Billed as “the Netherlands’ most dangerous man”, the Moroccan-born Dutch drug-trafficker was wanted in connection with a string of murders, including the assassination of a prosecution lawyer in the Netherlands. Investigators claimed he ordered the killings as if they were cups of coffee.

Police teams from European countries were chasing Taghi for ten years. However, it took Dubai Police just five days to arrest the 41-year-old fugitive who had sneaked into the UAE using a fake identity.

In fact, the mob boss was taken by surprise when a special unit of Dubai Police raided his luxury villa in December 2019. So much so that he expressed a grudging admiration for Dubai Police as he was being taken into custody. “Dubai Police must be the best in the world,” he told Brigadier Jamal Al Jallaf, Director of the Criminal Investigation Department.

Head of one of the most dangerous international crime rings, Danish gang lord Amir Mekky was a close associate of Ridouan Taghi. He was wanted for murder, drug trafficking and money laundering. In Europe, he evaded arrest for several years as he used multiple passports to travel.

His reign of crime came to an end earlier this month when Dubai State Security nabbed him in a sting operation. Special forces from the State Security Service in Dubai monitored Mekky’s movements before raiding his residence around midnight on June 4 and taking him into custody.

The entire operation was carried out despite movement restrictions during the coronavirus pandemic and in compliance with UAE law and international legal standards. Investigations revealed that Mekky had entered the UAE in November 2018 using a different passport.

Hushpuppi aka Raymond Abbas posed as a reputed businessman in Dubai and flaunted his extravagant lifestyle on Instagram where he has more than two million followers. But an investigation by Dubai Police revealed that the Nigerian celebrity was allegedly part of a gang that hacked corporate emails and routed huge amounts of money to bank accounts that they controlled.

Hushpuppi was arrested along with his accomplice Olalekan Jacob Ponle, aka Woodberry, along with ten other men earlier this month in a police operation called Fox Hunt 2.

Besides Dh150 million in cash, police also seized 13 luxury cars, valued around Dh25 million, 21 computers and 47 smartphones during the raid, which involved six teams. A similar raid conducted as part of Operation Fox Hunt led to the arrest of nine fraudsters in February. They were accused of running 81 fake businesses across 18 countries.

Widely regarded as the mastermind of a drug-trafficking cartel, Nordin E.H is linked to several violent crimes in Belgium, according to European media. On the run from Belgium Police, the 32-year-old was holed up in Dubai from where he allegedly ordered a series of attacks against his rivals, including some using grenades and assault rifles in Antwerp. But investigators tracked him down and alerted Dubai Police, who wasted no time in putting the drug lord where he truly belonged – behind bars. The Antwerp court is set to request for his extradition.

“As criminals constantly change their methods, Dubai Police work tirelessly with elite officers and employees specialised in using latest technologies to tackle emerging and transnational organised crime.”
– Lieutenant General Abdullah Khalifa Al Marri, Commander-in-chief of Dubai Police

Facebook Comments

News

“Hushpuppi Has A Chance, I Will Put Up A Vigorous Defense To Get Him Out” : Lawyer, Pissetzky Says

Published

on

Gal Pissetzky, the lawyer representing Nigerian alleged fraudster, Ramon Abbas popularly called Hushpuppi has made another commentary about Hushpuppi’s case.
Gal has argued that Hushpuppi has a great chance of coming out of these accusations leveled against him clean.

Speaking to Punch, the Chicago lawyer revealed that and his team has developed a carefully-mapped out plan to ensure their client is accurately defended and set free.

Gal intimated that as to whether they are going to consider a plea bargain, it is up for talks between him and Huspuppi.

“There is always a chance, absolutely. That’s why they hired me and that’s why I am going to put up a vigorous defense and defend him. I will give him a good representation. He has a chance. In the United States of America, you have a jury system.”; He said

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Salt FM Boss Donates To Agogo Hospital Minutes After Fire Consumed His Studios

Published

on

Chief Executive Officer of Salt Media GH, owners and operators of Salt 95.9 FM – Agogo, Salt TV and Saltfmonline, Ohene Kwame Frimpong has made a donation to Agogo Presbyterian hospital minutes after fire consumed the station’s main broadcasting studio.

Mr Frimpong who visited the children’s ward and other wards of the hospital gave out money to some patients who were on admission.

The UK based Ghanaian business man who visited the site after the incident, left with his team moment the fire department arrived at the scene, to make this surprising charity gesture to the hospital.

Noted for his numerous charity works, Ohene Kwame Frimpong emphasized the need for Salt Media GH to maintain the value and purpose they bring to society, especially the vulnerable in whatever situation they may find themselves in.

“We are focused and even though the fire is devastating, we are thankful that no harm was caused to anyone. Nobody was injured by the fire outbreak and we are grateful to God” — Ohene Kwame Frimpong said

Background

Fire razed Salt FM’s main broadcasting studio in Agogo Thursday afternoon.

A statement issued by the management of the station described the incident as shocking.

They also indicated that investigation into the cause of the fire has begun.

“The burning of the Salt FM studio has come as a terrible shock to the station’s management and employees. Though the incident is currently under investigation, what can be confirmed is that no life was harmed,” part of the statement read.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Former DCE, Hon. Jacob Asogonnde Congratulates Prof. Naana Jane Opoku Agyemang

Published

on

I take this opportunity to congratulate Professor Naana Jane Opoku Agyemang on her unanimous nomination to partner our flagbearer, His Excellency John Dramani Mahama as his running mate for the 2020 general elections on the ticket of the great NDC.

As the founder of Better Life Organization, an NGO that has worked closely with FAWE and ABANTU since 1997 to empower women and champion the girl child education, I couldn’t be more proud to witness this historic act exhibited by H.E. John Mahama in allowing women take their rightful place and be part of the decision making process at the highest level.

During my tenure as District Chief Executive of Kadjebi from 2013 to 2017, I was a great advocate for women empowerment. This unprecedented appointment certainly gladdens my heart as I have always been passionate about women in politics.

What gives me joy the most is that on 7th January 2021, my four biological daughters, can watch the inauguration of the first female Vice President of the Republic and be inspired beyond measure to achieve all their dreams. I want my daughters to find hope in Prof Naana Jane Opoku Agyemang in a world dominated by men occupying the highest office of the land.

The time is now indeed, and I pledge my full service towards victory for the great NDC come December 2020.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending