Connect with us

News

UEFA Bans Turkish Club Trabzonspor

Published

on

Turkish Super Lig leaders, Trabzonspor has been handed a one year ban by the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) for breaching its Financial Fair Play regulations.

The European football governing body said this on Wednesday June 3 in a statement that revealed that the Turkish club “failed to be break-even compliant as required by a settlement agreement, which it entered into on 20 May 2016”.

The ban would be applied if the club qualifies for European soccer next season or in 2021-22, but would not be implemented after that. The statement reads in part;

“On 5 July 2019, the UEFA Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) Adjudicatory Chamber determined that Trabzonspor A? (TUR) failed to be break-even compliant as required by a settlement agreement, which it entered into on 20 May 2016 and sanctioned the club with a conditional exclusion from participating in one (1) UEFA club competition for which it would otherwise qualify in the 2020/21 and 2021/22 seasons,” UEFA said in a statement.

“The sanction would not take effect if the club fulfilled certain conditions, including meeting a target with respect to its financial results for the 2019 financial year.

“The CFCB Adjudicatory Chamber has now determined that Trabzonspor A? failed to meet the target fixed for the 2019 financial year.

“As a result, the CFCB Adjudicatory Chamber has ordered that the club be excluded from participating in one (1) UEFA club competition for which it would otherwise qualify in the 2020/21 and 2021/22 seasons.”

The FFP rules were introduced in 2011 and were designed to stop teams spending more than they generate themselves, a move aimed mainly at stopping rich club owners from buying success with large cash injections.

AC Milan and Manchester City have both been barred from European football for breaking the rules, although the latter have appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

Trabzonspor who have not played since mid-March due to the Coronavirus pandemic, are level on points with Istanbul Basaksehir at the Super Lig summit with eight games remaining.

Facebook Comments

News

Barcelona Sign Sergino Dest For €21M

Published

on

Sergino Dest will be Barcelona’s new right-back – the 19-year-old joins from Ajax as Nelson Semedo’s replacement.
Barcelona have completed the signing of right-back Sergino Dest from Ajax for an initial €21million.

The 19-year-old United States international has signed a five-year contract with a €400m buyout clause, while the deal could eventually cost Barca €26m.

Barca faced stiff competition for the Ajax academy product, with Bayern Munich said to be also keen on his signature, but his signing for the Blaugrana appeared a formality after he was spotted arriving in Catalonia on Tuesday.

Dest broke into the Ajax senior side just last season, playing 35 times across all competitions as he established himself as an alternative to Noussair Mazraoui.

An attack-minded full-back, Dest was originally a winger when he first joined Ajax, but he has thrived following a positional switch.

Technically gifted, quick and a fine dribbler, Dest’s performances saw him catch the eye of several major clubs in his breakout season, but it is the well-travelled path from Ajax to Barca that he has decided to tread.

Barca had been on the lookout for a new right-back following the exit of Nelson Semedo, who failed to convince coaching staff and fans alike during his three years at Camp Nou.

Netherlands-born Dest has already been capped three times by the United States’ senior side, whom he is eligible for through his father.

Barca have not confirmed if Dest will be in contention to make his debut on Thursday at Celta Vigo, or if he will have to wait for the visit of Sevilla three days later.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Chelsea Face Champions League Group Of Death Draw With Bayern Munich, Inter Milan, And Rennes Possible Opponents

Published

on

Chelsea could be handed a nightmare ‘group of death’ when the Champions League draw is made tomorrow.

Frank Lampard’s side are with Man Utd and Man City in Pot 2 while Premier League champions Liverpool fill out the English contingent in the top group.

And it is from Pot 1 where the Blues will be looking to avoid one team in particular.

Chelsea have good memories of beating Bayern Munich on their own turf to lift the European title in 2012.

But surely no one would fancy taking on the reigning champs in their current rampant form.

The 8-2 demolition job of Barcelona – over one leg, remember – in the summer is still fresh in everyone’s memory.

And though that came against a club in crisis, the threat Robert Lewandowski – surely robbed of the Ballon d’Or this year – and Thomas Muller perpetually pose makes them the ones to avoid.

Further down in Pot 3, Inter Milan’s team of stars under Antonio Conte – up against his old club – could prove difficult.

And below them again in the bottom pot lie current Ligue 1 leaders Rennes.

The French team’s ex-goalkeeper Edouard Mendy recently joined Lampard’s side so he should know how to handle them.

Saying that though, Rennes have started off unbeaten this season with four wins from five games and 12 goals scored already.

This season will test teams’ fitness levels and squad depth like never before.

So it’s a good job Lampard has been so busy this summer, signing seven players in all.

The Champions League does not start until October 20 as a result of the pandemic and delayed season starts across Europe.

But teams are set to have to play six fiercely competitive European ties during the most congested season in history – possibly complicating their Premier League ambitions as well.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Food And Drug Administration To Ban The Production Of Alcoholic Drink In Sachets And Plastic Bottles

Published

on

Director-General, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye, has told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Wednesday that, the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) will totally ban the production of alcoholic drinks in sachets by 2023/2024 after the organization expressed worry over the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages in sachets and small volume glass and Poly-Ethylene Terephthalate (PET) bottles.

With the support of the Federal Ministry of Health, Adeyeye stated that the concern also relates to the fact that alcohol “is also a toxic and psychoactive substance with dependence producing properties, explaining that, uncontrolled access and availability of high concentration alcohol in sachet and small volume PET or glass bottles have been put forward as a factor contributing to substance and alcohol abuse in Nigeria with its negative impact on the society.

The director-general also said that, pending the time-lapse, the distillers association were told to reduce the level of alcohol drink in sachets, and that they have agreed to do that. Adeyeye said the distillers association had also been tasked to run a social responsibility campaign against underage drinking, adding that a jingle would soon be on air in this regard.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Latest Stories

ad

Trending