Connect with us

News

Up To 17 US Missionaries And Their Families Kidnapped In Haiti

Published

on

At least 17 U.S. Christian missionaries and their family members including children, have been kidnapped by gang members in Haiti.

Haitian security officials told The New York Times that the missionaries were kidnapped while leaving an orphanage. Local officials said the missionaries were taken from a bus headed to the airport to drop off some members of the group before continuing to another destination in Haiti.

CNN which cited an unnamed source in Haiti’s security forces, reported that the victims include 14 adults and three minors.

Initial reports did not give details on the missionaries or their church. “This is a special prayer alert,” said a voice message sent to other religious missions by an organization with direct knowledge of the incident.

“Pray that the gang members would come to repentance,” the message from Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries continued.

The message stated that the mission’s field director is working with the US Embassy, and that the field director’s family and one other unidentified man stayed at the ministry’s base while everyone else visiting the orphanage was abducted.

A US State Department spokesperson who spoke to The Post, said they are aware of the report. The spokesperson said;

“The welfare and safety of U.S. citizens abroad is one of the highest priorities of the Department of State.

“We are aware of these reports and have nothing additional to offer at this time.”

While kidnappings are alarmingly common in the politically-torn nation, officials were shocked at the bold abduction of such a large number of people.

The country has been in a state of political turmoil since Haitian President Jovenel Moïse was assassinated by gunmen in his home in July, a case that has yet to be solved by local law enforcement.

News

Parliament Rejects 2022 Budget After NPP MPs Walked Out

Published

on

Parliament has rejected the 2022 Budget Statement and Economic Policy read in the House by the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, last week.

Members on the Majority side of Parliament staged a walkout on Friday, November 26, 2021, following a disagreement over a directive by the Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin, for non-MPs to vacate the Chamber.

The Majority’s actions did not prevent the House from continuing with the business of the day as the budget received a rejection by solely NDC MPs.

The Majority MPs demanded that General Secretary of the NDC Johnson Asiedu Nketia who was seated in the public gallery leaves Parliament before they continue with the business of the House.

“Clearly, the No’s have it. The motion is accordingly lost,” the Speaker ruled.

Mr Asiedu Nketia ignored their request which infuriated the Majority MPs who walked out of the Chamber, leaving only members on the Minority side.

The Speaker of Parliament thus suspended the sitting for five minutes after which the business of the day proceeded.

A last-minute request by the Finance Minister to meet with the leadership of the House was turned down by MPs after the Speaker of Parliament announced that the ‘Nos’ had won the voice vote.

Continue Reading

News

Prempeh College Wins The 2021 National Science & Maths Quiz

Published

on

After months of intensive preparations, learning and competing with several schools Prempeh College has emerged as the winners for the 2021 edition of the National Science and Maths Quiz.

The Grand Finale of the NSMQ 2021 was held at the Great Hall of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology-KNUST.

Prempeh College beat their rivals Presec with an interval of 4 points, having total points of 53 points and for the second position school which is Presec ending the contest with 49 points, Keta SHTS placed third with 30 points.

This is the fifth time Prempeh College has managed to win this competition.

We say CONGRATULATIONS to Prempeh College.

Continue Reading

News

Jake Paul Claims Floyd Mayweather Tried To Get Him Assassinated In Miami

Published

on

YouTube personality-turned boxer, Jake Paul claimed undefeated boxer Floyd Mayweather tried to have him assassinated earlier this year.

Paul and Mayweather were involved in a heated confrontation at a pre-fight press conference for the former world champion’s exhibition bout with his brother Logan Paul in June.

Mayweather had his hat stolen by Paul, who said “got ya hat” as he ran off, with a brawl ensuing backstage at the event afterward.

Paul then went on to mock Mayweather on social media, selling merchandise with the “got ya hat” phrase emblazoned upon it, and even got the phrase tattooed on his calf afterward.

Mayweather was incensed by Paul, with the 24-year-old now claiming that the retired boxer wanted to “kill” him due to the stunt.

Speaking on the FULL SEND podcast in September, Paul said: “He was trying to get me killed behind the scenes, for sure.

“He was calling, like, ‘the gangsters,’ because we were in Miami at the time. He was, like, calling the ‘street people,’ ’cause my security is tapped into the street people.

“They were like, ‘Yo, you guys gotta be f**king careful. He’s trying to do something.

“So, whatever the f**k that meant, or means… I was like, ‘Alright, if this is how I die, this is how I die.’”

No winner was declared when Mayweather fought his older brother in Miami in June, with the eight-round bout rounding off a card that also included Badou Jack.

Continue Reading

Latest Stories

The Daily

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Follow Us

Trending