Connect with us

News

Update: Judge Rules Derek Chauvin Qualifies For A Longer Sentence In Murder Of George Floyd

Published

on

Former Minneapolis police officer, Derek Chauvin could face up to 30 years in prison after a Minnesota judge ruled there were four aggravating factors in the murder of George Floyd.

Chauvin was convicted of two counts of murder and one count of manslaughter last month for kneeling on the neck and back of Floyd, handcuffed and lying prone on the street, for 9 minutes and 29 seconds.

Judge Peter Cahill ruled Wednesday May 13 that four of the five factors were proven beyond a reasonable doubt. He found that (1) Chauvin abused a position of trust and authority, and (2) he treated Floyd with particular cruelty.

“The slow death of George Floyd occurring over approximately six minutes of his positional asphyxia was particularly cruel in that Mr. Floyd was begging for his life and obviously terrified by the knowledge that he was likely to die but during which the defendant objectively remained indifferent to Mr. Floyd’s pleas,” Cahill wrote.

Cahill also ruled that (3) children were present during the offense, and (4) Chauvin committed the crime as a group with the active participation of at least three other people.

On that fourth point, Judge Cahill wrote that three former officers, Tou Thao, Thomas Lane, and Alexander Kueng, were actively involved in the incident, but he made no finding as to their intent or knowledge. They have each pleaded not guilty to charges of aiding and abetting.

Update: Judge rules Derek Chauvin qualifies for a longer sentence in murder of George Floyd

However, Cahill rejected the aggravating factor that Floyd was “particularly vulnerable,” noting Floyd had initially resisted arrest. He also ruled that restraining Floyd in the prone position did not create a vulnerability but was instead the actual mechanism of his death.

Floyd family attorney, Ben Crump released a statement on Wednesday applauding Cahill for the ruling. 

“The application of justice, in this case, offers hope that we will see real change in the relationship between police and people of color by holding officers properly accountable for egregious behavior and for failing to honor the sanctity of all lives,” Crump said.

This comes weeks after Chauvin was convicted of second-degree murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter. Under Minnesota statutes, he’ll be sentenced only on the most serious count – second-degree murder. 

His sentencing is set for June 25, and he is currently being held at the Minnesota Correctional Facility-Oak Park Heights.

The sentences for all three crimes would likely be served at the same time, not consecutively. “Generally, when an offender is convicted of multiple current offenses… concurrent sentencing is presumptive,” according to the guidelines.

Chauvin faces other legal issues as well.

 A federal grand jury indicted all four former officers in connection with Floyd’s death, alleging they violated his constitutional rights, according to court documents filed in federal court in Minnesota. Chauvin also was charged in a separate indictment related to an incident in which he allegedly used unreasonable force on a Minneapolis 14-year-old in September 2017, the Justice Department said in a statement.

News

Manchester City Captain, Fernandinho Agrees On New One-Year Deal with Brazilian Midfielder Set For His 10th Season With The Club

Published

on

Manchester City captain, Fernandinho has agreed on a new one-year contract with the Premier League champions.

The Brazilian international, 36, whose leadership played a pivotal role in reigniting City’s season will now spend his 10th season with the club

According to Jack Gaughan of the Mail, Fernandinho and Manchester City have reached an agreement over a one-year contract extension for the Brazilian midfielder.

Gaughan states that Fernandinho is viewed as an ‘invaluable member’ of Pep Guardiola’s first-team squad at Manchester City – which emphasises the club’s insistence on retaining his services beyond the summer.

The official confirmation of the contract extension will arrive before Manchester City begin their pre-season training ahead of the new campaign, with Guardiola’s side set to meet Barcelona in one fixture.

Continue Reading

News

PSG Superstar Neymar Left Out Of Brazil’s Tokyo Olympic Squad

Published

on

Neymar has been left out of Brazil’s squad for next month’s Olympics with a dramatic call up handed to his former Barcelona teammate , Dani Alves, 38.

Brazil confirmed their 18-man squad for the tournament and the world’s most expensive who scored the decisive penalty to earn the Samba Boys their first Olympic football gold medal five years ago wasn’t included in the final list.

Brazil’s team coordinator Branco said: “Neymar is a reference point for the senior national team but part of the reason why he is not in this squad is because he is playing at the Copa America.

“We would have liked to have had him.”

The Paris Saint-Germain forward is currently representing his country in the Copa America and scored their opener in the 3-0 win over Venezuela on Sunday.

BRAZIL OLYMPIC SQUAD

THE 18-man squad named by the Samba Boys for Tokyo:

Goalkeepers: Santos (Athletico PR), Brenno (Gremio)

Defenders: Dani Alves (Sao Paulo), Gabriel Menino (Palmeiras) Guilherme Arana (Atletico), Nino (Fluminense), Gabriel Magalhaes (Arsenal), Diego Carlos (Sevilla)

Midfielders: Douglas Luiz (Aston Villa), B. Guimaraes (Olympique Lyon), Matheus Henrique (Gremio), Gerson (Flamengo), Claudinho (Red Bull Braga)

Forwards: Malcom (FC Zenit), Antony (Ajax), Paulinho (Bayer Leverkusen), Matheus Cunha (Hertha Berlin), Pedro (Flamengo)

Continue Reading

News

Police Arrest Driver Who Knocked Down Woman And Dumped Her In A Bush To Die

Published

on

A driver who knocked down a 27-year-old teacher of De Youngsters School at Adenta with his vehicle and abandoned her to die in a bush at Abokobi has been arrested by the police.

The incident happened at the Adentan-Dodowa traffic intersection at about 7 p.m. on June 7, 2021.

The suspect, Emeka Adams, 42, was arrested nine days after he had allegedly knocked down the teacher with a Hyundai Sonata Saloon vehicle with registration number GB 2126-20.

The unlicensed driver has since been charged with murder.

Confirming the arrest, the Public Relations Officer of the Greater Accra Regional Police Command, DSP Mrs Effia Tenge, said after knocking down the teacher, the suspect picked her up under the pretext of taking her to a health facility for treatment.

However, she said police investigations showed that the suspect allegedly abandoned the teacher in a bush at Abokobi, instead of taking her to the hospital.

The body of the victim, she said, was later found in the bush at Abokobi and the police were informed. The police retrieved the body and conveyed it to the Police Hospital Morgue for autopsy and preservation.

Police intelligence, she said, led to the arrest of Adams last Wednesday and the vehicle was also found in his possession.

Continue Reading

Latest Stories

The Daily

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Follow Us

Trending