Connect with us

News

USA: Two Football Players Charged With Rape And Kidnapping

Published

on

USA

Two members of the Ohio State University football team have been charged with rape and kidnapping in Columbus.

Defensive backs Amir Riep and Jahsen Wint, both 21 and due to be seniors next season, were arrested early Wednesday on felony charges of rape and kidnapping, according to Franklin County online jail records.

The alleged incident happened on the night of February 4 at a Columbus apartment complex where both Riep and Wint live.

A 19-year-old woman was having consensual sex with Riep, when she stopped, “stating she did not want to continue.” Detectives say Wint then entered the room and Riep, after asking if Wint could join, pushed her down by the neck and the two men allegedly raped her, Columbus police said in two criminal complaints filed in the municipal court.

Afterward, the report says Riep told the victim to say the incident was consensual on video, as he was “laughing” and she was “crying.”

“She was unsure if she should go ahead and file charges or not and that is what happens in a lot of these cases,” said Denise Alex-Bouzounis with the Columbus Police Department.

But Wint’s attorney, Samuel Shamansky, said his client is wrongfully accused.

“He’s had zero contact with the criminal justice system. He is an outstanding student and athlete. He is respectful and law-abiding,” Shamansky told CNN. “He’s cooperated completely with law enforcement and has nothing to hide.

“These false charges are outrageous and he is eager to clear his name in a court of law.”

Coach Ryan Day of Ohio State football team has dismissed Amir Riep and Jahsen Wint from the team.

Day said in a statement, “I have dismissed Amir Riep and Jahsen Wint from our football program. I am not making any statement on the criminal charges, but it is clear they did not live up to our standards and my expectations.”

Facebook Comments

News

Apple CEO, Tim Cook Is Now A Billionaire

Published

on

Apple CEO, Tim Cook has become a billionaire after the Cupertino-based iPhone maker broke all previous records to become the world’s most valued company at over $1.84 trillion.

According to Bloomberg Billionaires Index, the net worth of Cook has eclipsed $1-billion mark, officially making him a billionaire.

“Cook owns 847,969 shares directly and took home more than $125 million last year as part of his pay package,” reports the BBC.

The milestone comes 9-years after Tim Cook took over from Steve Jobs, who died in October 2011.

Last week, Apple surpassed Saudi Arabia’s state-owned oil company Saudi Aramco to become the world’s most valuable company.

The massive earnings helped Apple shares closed up 10.47 percent to become the world’s most valuable publicly-traded company, surpassing the largest oil producer in the world.

Apple is now closing in on the milestone of being the first company to be valued at $2 trillion. Back in 2018, Apple was also the first US company to cross the $1-trillion mark.

However, Cook still has a long way to meet up with other CEOs on the Bloomberg Billionaires’ list, like Amazon Founder and CEO Jeff Bezos ($187 billion), former Microsoft CEO Bill Gates ($121 billion) and Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg ($102 billion).

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Russia Approves First Coronavirus Vaccine; Putin Says His Daughter Received Dose

Published

on

President Vladimir Putin said on Tuesday that Russia had become the first country in the world to grant regulatory approval to a COVID-19 vaccine after less than two months of human testing, a move hailed by Moscow as evidence of its scientific prowess.

The vaccine still has to complete final trials, raising concerns among some experts at the speed of its approval, but the Russian business conglomerate Sistema has said it expects to put it into mass production by the end of the year.

Russian health workers treating Covid-19 patients will be offered the chance of volunteering to be vaccinated in the coming weeks, a source told Reuters last month.

Regulatory approval paves the way for the mass inoculation of the Russian population and authorities hope it will allow the economy, which has been battered by fallout from the virus, to return to full capacity.

Kirill Dmitriev, head of Russia’s sovereign wealth fund, hailed the development as a historic “Sputnik moment”, comparable to the Soviet Union’s 1957 launch of Sputnik 1, the world’s first satellite.

The vaccine will be marketed under the name ‘Sputnik V’ on foreign markets, he said.

Dmitriev said Russia had already received foreign requests for 1 billion doses. International agreements had been secured to produce 500 million doses annually, with the vaccine also expected to be produced in Brazil.

He said clinical trials were expected to start soon in the United Arab Emirates and the Philippines.

But only about 10 percent of a clinical trials are successful, and the speed at which Russia has moved, approving a vaccine before the final stages of trials to test safety and efficacy are over, has worried some scientists, who fear Moscow may be putting national prestige before safety.

Speaking at a government meeting on state television, Putin dismissed those concerns, saying the vaccine, developed by Moscow’s Gamaleya Institute, was safe and that it had even been administered to one of his daughters.

“I know that it works quite effectively, forms strong immunity, and I repeat, it has passed all the needed checks,” said Putin.

He said he hoped mass production would start soon.

The vaccine’s approval by the health ministry comes before the start of a larger trial involving thousands of participants, commonly known as a Phase III trial.

Such trials, which require a certain rate of participants catching the virus to observe the vaccine’s effect, are normally considered essential precursors for a vaccine to receive regulatory approval.

The Moscow-based Association of Clinical Trials Organizations (ACTO), a trade body representing the world’s top drugmakers in Russia this week urged the health ministry to postpone approval until that final trial had been successfully completed.

In a letter to the ministry, it said there were high risks associated with registering a drug before that happened.

“It is during this phase that the main evidence of a vaccine’s efficacy is collected, as well as information on adverse reactions that could appear in certain groups of patients: people with weakened immunity, people with concomitant diseases and so forth,” it said.

Some international experts have also questioned the speed at which Russia approved its vaccine.

“Normally you need a large number of people to be tested before you approve a vaccine,” said Peter Kremsner from the University Hospital in Tuebingen, currently testing CureVac’s Covid-19 vaccine in clinical trials.

“In that respect, I think it’s reckless to do that (approve it) if lots of people haven’t already been tested.”

Duncan Matthews, a professor of intellectual property law at Queen Mary University of London, said news of a potential Covid-19 vaccine was to be welcomed, “but safety must be the priority”.

“The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Medicines Agency (EMA) have fast-track approval procedures for emergency humanitarian use and we need to see evidence that Russia is adopting an equally prudent approach,” Matthews said in an emailed comment.

More than 100 possible vaccines are being developed around the world to try to stop the Covid-19 pandemic. At least four are in final Phase III human trials, according to WHO data.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Media & Culture

Jane Naana Opoku Called Mzbel To Boycott The Case After Nigel Raped Her : Kennedy Agyapong

Published

on

The ‘strong’ man Kennedy Ohene ‘Akompreko’ Agyapong has announced his come back to Net 2 TV’s Hot seat program with a serious disclosure about NDC’s newly elected Vice-Presidential Aspirant, Jane Naana Opoku Agyemang.

The Assin Central’s MP, for months, went into a long silence which began to raise eyebrows on social media. Some netizens who have held him up high became worried at his sudden disappearance.

Others were with the thoughts that whenever Kennedy Agyapong vanishes from the public space, then it means he’s up to something. Thus bringing an expose that will shake grounds.

But our guesses this time were very wrong. His disappearance was due to the fact that he was seriously ill. He had contracted the deadly COVID-19 and was in mandatory quarantine for 2 weeks.

Kennedy Agyapong after receiving proper medical care is back on his feet very strong than before. It’s good news anyway for the country.

Looking very healthy at age 60, Kennedy Agyapong, yesterday on Net 2 TV revealed that Jane Naana Opoku Agyemang was the person who fueled Nigel Gaisie in doing all his bad acts.

He again disclosed that it was the Jane Naana Opoku Agyemang who pleaded with Mzbel not to further carry on with any legal action against Nigel Gaisie after he raped her.

According to the maverick politician, because of Nigel’s affiliation to the opposition party, the National Democratic Congress-NDC Jane Naana stood in to fight for him even though he had done something that’s punishable by law.

Whiles speaking on his private owned television station, NET2 TV, the NPP firebrand asserted that Mzbel boycotted a meeting with him on TV because Jane Naana had called to apologized on Nigel’s behalf.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Latest Stories

ad

Trending