Connect with us

News

Watford Player And Two Staff Test Positive For Coronavirus

Published

on

A Watford player and two members of non-playing staff were among six positive tests for coronavirus in the first round of Premier League testing.

On Tuesday, the Premier League announced that six positive Covid-19 results returned from a total of ?748 tests were carried out on players and club staff on Sunday and Monday.

The club confirmed the news late on Tuesday that a player and two members of non-playing staff tested positive for Coronavirus.

A club statement said: “Watford Football Club confirms that three people have tested positive for the Covid-19 virus following testing at the training ground over the past 48 hours.

“Of those three positive tests, one is a player and two are members of staff. All three have asked that medical confidentiality be respected and, therefore, the club will not be naming those involved.

“All three will now self-isolate for seven days – in line with the protocols set out in Premier League guidelines – before being tested again at a later date.

“Strict adherence to the Premier League guidelines has ensured the training ground remains virus-free and a safe environment for the players to continue to work.

“The club will continue to liaise closely with the affected personnel and there will be no further comment.”

Watford captain Troy Deeney has previously spoken out against the restart of the Premier League amid the ongoing pandemic, stating that he doesn’t plan to put his family at risk for a return to football.

Burnley also announced in a statement that assistant manager Ian Woan tested positive for Coronavirus.

“Burnley Football Club can confirm that after completing a Covid-19 test on Sunday, 17th May, assistant manager Ian Woan has tested positive,” the club said in a statement released on Tuesday evening.

“The Burnley first-team squad and playing staff were all tested last weekend, ahead of a return to training.”

Burnley added that it would “continue to follow the first stage of the return to training protocol, while adhering to Premier League guidance in terms of testing all players and backroom staff twice per week”.

Facebook Comments

News

Roger Federer Replaces Lionel Messi As The World’s Highest-Paid Athlete

Published

on

Roger Federer is the world’s highest-paid athlete for 2020 as the Covid-19 pandemic knocked football’s Lionel Messi off top spot, according to the annual Forbes list released on Friday.

The Swiss tennis great, owner of a men’s record 20 Grand Slam singles titles, earned $106.3 million in the last 12 months, including $100 million via endorsements, to move up four places and become the first player from his sport to top the list.

Footballers Cristiano Ronaldo ($105 million), Messi ($104 million) and Neymar ($95.5 million) and American basketball player LeBron James ($88.2 million) rounded out the top five.

“The coronavirus pandemic triggered salary cuts for soccer stars Messi and Ronaldo, clearing the way for a tennis player to rank as the world’s highest-paid athlete for the first time,” said Kurt Badenhausen, senior editor at Forbes.

“Roger Federer is the perfect pitchman for companies, resulting in an unparalleled endorsement portfolio of blue-chip brands worth $100 million a year for the tennis great.”

Japan’s Naomi Osaka ($37.4 million), who was ranked 29th on the list, surpassed fellow tennis player Serena Williams ($36 million) as the world’s highest-earning female athlete.

Osaka and Williams were the only women on the list.

Basketball players led all sports with 35 players among the top 100. American football occupied 31 spots, none higher than six-times Super Bowl champion Tom Brady ($45 million) who was ranked 25th.

Football was the next most-represented sport with 14 players, followed by tennis (six), boxing and mixed martial arts (five), golf (four), motor racing (three), and baseball and cricket with one each.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Real Madrid Offer Man United Four Players To Seal Pogba Deal

Published

on

Real Madrid has offered four players to Manchester United in a bid to finally land Paul Pogba, the UK Sun reports.

The players include James Rodriguez and Martin Odegaard.

It is understood that Lucas Vazquez and Brahim Diaz could also be thrown in as a deal sweetener.

Madrid manager, Zinedine Zidane, has remained an admirer of his compatriot, who has missed most of the Premier League season with a series of ankle issues.

However, the LaLiga giants are still keen on Pogba, although United will insist he is not for sale.

With the COVID-19 affecting clubs financially, Madrid will press on with their pursuit and will try to do swap deals in order to secure their targets.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

A Ghanaian Lady Who Was Bathed With Acid In Saudi Arabia Shares Her Story

Published

on

A Ghanaian lady who was bathed with acid in Saudi Arabia has come out to share her story and how she is contemplating taking her life.

According to the woman narrating her sad ordeal to Crime Check Foundation, somewhere in December 2018, she went to braid her hair in a salon in Saudi Arabia and that was where the unfortunate incident happened.

She narrated that the acid was not meant for her but rather the hairdresser but she was the one that got the worse injury.

She revealed that the hairdresser identified as Rabi was having a fight with the lady who committed the heinous act also known as Salomey over an apartment.

Read her full story below:

“As Rabi was braiding my hair, she stopped to go and eat. As she was eating, we heard a knock on her door and she asked me to help her open it. As soon as I opened the door all I saw was someone pushed me and poured a substance on me. That was my end”

“I had to come back home because I couldn’t see anything talk less of going to work to cater for myself. Rabi too visited me only twice and have never visited again. I returned to Ghana without a pin. Here I am without even a pesewa to go to the hospital because I still feel pains and sick always”.

Saudi authorities promised to arrest her attacker but Memuna says she could not follow up on the case after she was brought to Ghana.

She has completely given up on life and prefers to die. “I’d rather die than to live this painful life,” she said.

Memuna narrated that when children see her they start running away because they think they have seen a ghost.

“One day my mother wasn’t well so I decided to wash our clothes and go dry them outside. As I was drying the things, two children that were standing by were having a conversation and one told the other that- you see this sister her face is really scary and looks like a monster, that made me less of a human being”.

Her mother, Hajia Safia, who could not hold her tears said it was difficult when she first saw pictures of her daughter after the incident.

“It wasn’t easy for me at all because she is all I’ve got in life. She traveled to go and seek greener pastures to support the family and see what has happened to her” she added.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Trending