Connect with us

News

World Bank Delays Approval For Nigeria’s $1.5bn Loan Over Naira Reform

Published

on

The World Bank is delaying approval of Nigeria’s request for a $1.5 billion loan due to concerns over desired reforms, Reuters reports.

Unidentified sources told Reuters that the main concern being expressed by the World Bank was Naira reform.

Both the World Bank and International Monetary Fund, IMF, have, in the past, advised Nigeria to float its currency and allow market forces to determine the value of the naira.

According to the report, the World Bank had aimed to bring the loan request to its board for approval this August but the approval will now be delayed till October.

“They are not convinced about the reforms,” Reuters quoted a source close to the government to have said.

Although the World Bank has not outlined any demands, fuel subsidies and electricity tariffs were also said to be a part of the discussions.

The CBN has devalued the naira twice in 2020 and the Federal Executive Council in July, approved the removal of petrol subsidy.

The finance ministry was reported to have directed queries to the World Bank and while the Bretton Wood institution said discussions had reached an advanced stage, it confirmed that the loan request had not been presented to its board.

“Of particular importance are the steps the government is taking to marshal the needed fiscal resources for a pro-poor response to the crisis and undertake the reforms that will help ensure a robust recovery,” Reuters quoted a statement by the World Bank to have read.

The World Bank has already projected that Nigeria is heading for its worst recession in 40 years, which the Finance Minister, Mrs Zainab Ahmed, reiterated last week.

To meet budgetary obligations, the Nigerian government requested for loans worth $6.9 billion from the World Bank, International Monetary Fund and African Development Bank.

The IMF approved a $3.4 billion loan for Nigeria in April.

Facebook Comments

News

Thiago Alcantara Test Positive For Coronavirus

Published

on

New Liverpool midfielder Thiago Alcantara who recently joined the club has test positive for Coronavirus.

Goal confirmed the report on their Twitter page.

See below.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Lesbian Lovers Dismembered Man To Use His Fingerprints To Steal $77,120, Then Kept His Head For Themselves

Published

on

Prosecutors in Portugal have alleged two lesbian lovers dismembered a man so they could use his fingerprints to access his mobile phone and steal $77,120 from his bank account.

The lovers, one a security worker known as Maria Malveiro, 19, and 23-year-old nurse Mariana Fonseca (both pictured below) are accused of throwing Diogo Goncalves’ torso into the sea but keeping hold of his head.

Lesbian lovers dismembered man to use his fingerprints to steal $77,120, then kept his head for themselvesLesbian lovers dismembered man to use his fingerprints to steal $77,120, then kept his head for themselves

According to prosecutors in Portugal preparing to put the pair on trial this October, Malveiro is said to have admitted to an Algarve judge who questioned her after the crime they were inspired by US police series Dexter.

Diogo (pictured below) was strangled to death on March 18 and the woman allegedly threw his torso into the sea from cliffs in the Algarve town of Sagres

Lesbian lovers dismembered man to use his fingerprints to steal $77,120, then kept his head for themselves

Four days later they used a print from a finger they had cut off his right hand to access his mobile and transfer the cash, then waited another 24 hours to dump the rest of his body.

The indictment says they spent the three days between March 20 and 23 sending messages from his Facebook account to fool colleagues and friends into believing he was still alive.

They will be tried for murder, desecrating a body, computer fraud, and using a stolen vehicle.

According to reports, Malveiro took advantage of the fact Diogo was attracted to her to give him an orange juice laced with sedative Diazepam after promising him a lap dance at his home.

They both then allegedly strangled him and dismembering him.

The women allegedly tried to make it look as if he had killed himself by leaving the car overlooking the sea in Cape St Vincent in Sagres but investigators found out their plan after they threw away the torso because it failed to land in the water and ended up on dry land, leaving vital clues.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

News

Western Togoland Insurgencies: Group Attacks STC and Burnt Bus In Ho

Published

on

Western Togoland insurgencies are escalating beyond the control of the security agencies apparatus with all their accouterments to stand against unlawful abiding citizens.

Reports coming through to us confirm that a group of secessionists has attacked the State Transport Corporation (STC) in Ho, the capital of the Volta Region, and caused damages.

According to the reports received, the rebels attacked on the STC bus and burnt it to the ground as they set it on fire.

It is also confirmed that the secessionists fired gunshots at the STC bus parking area.

The incident is reported to have occurred on Monday night.

Already, a total number of 31 of the group were arrested and processed to Accra Circuit Court on Monday 28 September 2020.

However, Honorable Okudzeto Ablakwa, Member of Parliament of North Tongu claims the Separatists are not secessionists as claimed by the police and the Chiefs in the area.

Another group of Ghanaians also suggests those already arrested must be used as exapmple to deter the others from causing mor mayhem.

Facebook Comments
Continue Reading

Latest Stories

ad

Trending