Connect with us

News

Xavi Denies Reports Aguero Is To Retire

Published

on

Barcelona head coach Xavi has denied reports that striker Sergio Aguero has been forced to retire.

Rumours emerged on Saturday that the Argentina international will hold a news conference next week to confirm he will not resume his playing career.

Aguero has not played a game since the 1-1 draw with Deportivo Alaves at Camp Nou on October 30, during which he was substituted after feeling dizzy and suffering apparent discomfort in his chest.

Barca later confirmed he would be unavailable for three months while doctors monitored a suspected cardiovascular problem. The 33-year-old tweeted on November 12 to insist he was “always positive” amid suggestions he would not be able to continue playing.

Xavi, who oversaw a 1-0 win over Espanyol in his first match in charge, insisted it was not true that Aguero’s retirement was confirmed.

“What’s come out isn’t true,” he told reporters. “I spoke with him, he’s calm and happy. I asked him to come back when he was feeling okay.”

Memphis Depay’s penalty sealed Barca’s victory over their city rivals, although they rode their luck in the closing stages as Raul de Tomas twice hit the post and Landry Dimata headed a glorious chance for an equaliser wide.

“I’m very happy with the three points and the effort of the players,” said Xavi. “We’re not in the best of spirits and Espanyol created a lot of problems for us. And we deserved the luck with the posts.

“I’m happy, and I think it was a deserved victory. What couldn’t fail, which was the attitude, didn’t fail.”

The result moved Barca to within eight points of LaLiga leaders Sevilla, who earlier drew with Alaves, after 13 LaLiga matches.

While a title shot appears unlikely at this stage, Xavi – an eight-time league champion in a glittering playing career with the club – saw no reason to discount a challenge for the trophy.

“We’re far away but there are matches left. I’m optimistic and why can’t we fight for the title?” he said.

News

Parliament Rejects 2022 Budget After NPP MPs Walked Out

Published

on

Parliament has rejected the 2022 Budget Statement and Economic Policy read in the House by the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, last week.

Members on the Majority side of Parliament staged a walkout on Friday, November 26, 2021, following a disagreement over a directive by the Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin, for non-MPs to vacate the Chamber.

The Majority’s actions did not prevent the House from continuing with the business of the day as the budget received a rejection by solely NDC MPs.

The Majority MPs demanded that General Secretary of the NDC Johnson Asiedu Nketia who was seated in the public gallery leaves Parliament before they continue with the business of the House.

“Clearly, the No’s have it. The motion is accordingly lost,” the Speaker ruled.

Mr Asiedu Nketia ignored their request which infuriated the Majority MPs who walked out of the Chamber, leaving only members on the Minority side.

The Speaker of Parliament thus suspended the sitting for five minutes after which the business of the day proceeded.

A last-minute request by the Finance Minister to meet with the leadership of the House was turned down by MPs after the Speaker of Parliament announced that the ‘Nos’ had won the voice vote.

Continue Reading

News

Prempeh College Wins The 2021 National Science & Maths Quiz

Published

on

After months of intensive preparations, learning and competing with several schools Prempeh College has emerged as the winners for the 2021 edition of the National Science and Maths Quiz.

The Grand Finale of the NSMQ 2021 was held at the Great Hall of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology-KNUST.

Prempeh College beat their rivals Presec with an interval of 4 points, having total points of 53 points and for the second position school which is Presec ending the contest with 49 points, Keta SHTS placed third with 30 points.

This is the fifth time Prempeh College has managed to win this competition.

We say CONGRATULATIONS to Prempeh College.

Continue Reading

News

Jake Paul Claims Floyd Mayweather Tried To Get Him Assassinated In Miami

Published

on

YouTube personality-turned boxer, Jake Paul claimed undefeated boxer Floyd Mayweather tried to have him assassinated earlier this year.

Paul and Mayweather were involved in a heated confrontation at a pre-fight press conference for the former world champion’s exhibition bout with his brother Logan Paul in June.

Mayweather had his hat stolen by Paul, who said “got ya hat” as he ran off, with a brawl ensuing backstage at the event afterward.

Paul then went on to mock Mayweather on social media, selling merchandise with the “got ya hat” phrase emblazoned upon it, and even got the phrase tattooed on his calf afterward.

Mayweather was incensed by Paul, with the 24-year-old now claiming that the retired boxer wanted to “kill” him due to the stunt.

Speaking on the FULL SEND podcast in September, Paul said: “He was trying to get me killed behind the scenes, for sure.

“He was calling, like, ‘the gangsters,’ because we were in Miami at the time. He was, like, calling the ‘street people,’ ’cause my security is tapped into the street people.

“They were like, ‘Yo, you guys gotta be f**king careful. He’s trying to do something.

“So, whatever the f**k that meant, or means… I was like, ‘Alright, if this is how I die, this is how I die.’”

No winner was declared when Mayweather fought his older brother in Miami in June, with the eight-round bout rounding off a card that also included Badou Jack.

Continue Reading

Latest Stories

The Daily

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Follow Us

Trending